6 | THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY NIGHT

I got to the hotel around 9 pm. I had rushed to my room, changed into a fresh outfit – a grey jacket, black shirt, and trousers, paired with neat Nike Air Forces. I rarely wore them, but tonight was an exception. After putting on two cross chains, I sprayed heavy perfume on myself. Almost got lost on the way, but eventually made it. The entrance was buzzing, and I was relieved to be fashionably late. The hotel was crowded, people going in and out. I hoped to spot someone I knew to chat with since I came solo. The hotel was fancy, all white, and it looked like the party was on the ground floor.

I walked into the scene, and suddenly, the room went dark. The only light came from a disco ball, Rema playing in the background accompanied with some wasted MC's voice singing along. Out of nowhere, Sewa appeared in front of me. I had totally forgotten she came. I'd been too busy searching for Maxwell. Sewa looked amazing, rocking a simple red gown that highlighted her features. Unlike before, she let her locs flow freely instead of tying them into a ponytail, and she kept her glasses on with little makeup.

"So you came?" Sewa yelled over the music. "I thought you would go for AWOKO alone."

"No..." I also wanted to add I came because of Maxwell, but she didn't exactly approve of our friendship, so I held back.

Sewa apologized once more for canceling last minute, but I wasn't too bothered. If she hadn't canceled, I wouldn't be in this situation. A fair pretty girl named "Bukky," I believe from our department, came over and interrupted us. I didn't know her well, but I recognized her.

"Ehis, why aren't you guys dancing?" She seemed intoxicated, "Why you con dey buga oo?" She began singing along to 'Charm' by Rema, lifting her shoulders high, and pulling us onto the dance floor.

As the music slowed down, Sewa swayed her hips against Bukky, and Bukky danced behind her. Seeing the girls freely express their sexuality without judgment made me envious, I tried to join in with a clumsy attempt at dancing, but my awkward hand movements didn't compare to their enjoyment. Peering beyond them, I spotted Prudence seated with her boyfriend and other guys in a VIP lounge, but I couldn't spot Maxwell. I thought about going to ask them, but I didn't want to embarrass myself and didn't want to leave the girls either.

Prudence noticed me looking at her, and she smiled back at me. I responded by raising my eyebrows at her. My body fought against walking up to her, but just as I was considering approaching her, Rasheed tapped me on the chest to get my attention. I was glad to have another guy to hang out with. We shook hands, he exchanged greetings with the girls, and then Rasheed signaled for me to join him at the counter.

"Ahan, just you and how many girls?" Rasheed teased while we perched on the counter.

"You know Sewa and I are just friends," I replied, teasing me about my best friend felt oddly uncomfortable.

"I'm talking about Prudence; I saw the two of you staring at each other." Rasheed remarked. "Don't let Investor catch you."

I playfully punched him, finding his persistent teasing about Prudence increasingly annoying.

I wanted to avoid continuing the conversation, so I asked Rasheed, "Have you seen Maxwell?"

Rasheed admitted uncertainty about Maxwell's whereabouts, speculating he might be with friends, which I already assumed but I couldn't see him at the VIPs lounge. My eyes scanned the crowd, and that's when I thought I spotted someone, I thought was Kennedy. I was tired of seeing his face everywhere, though I couldn't be sure if it was really him—it felt like his face was etched into my mind.

I pondered how long it would take for Kennedy to stop appearing everywhere in my life, dreading the thought of enduring it for the next four years.  "Still no sign of him," I told Rasheed as I kept looking. No response came, likely drowned out by the music, so I didn't bother repeating myself. Suddenly, a hand touched mine, as if caressing it. When I turned, I found Rasheed already engrossed in making out with a girl – precisely what I feared about the party. Annoyed, I got up, sighed, and headed outside the hotel for some fresh air.