9 | TRUST THE SCIENCE STUDENTS

Investor hollered, "BIG MAN!" at me, in what seemed like a sarcastic tone as he noticed me with his girlfriend. I responded with a casual nose puff and a smile. As we approached each other, he headed towards prudence, and I continued to Maxwell. In a low whisper to prudence, I mentioned, "I'd transfer the assignment dues to you," subtly letting Investor in on our conversation. It seemed he didn't catch it or wasn't bothered anymore. My anxiety was for nothing, and I had hoped for an apology, but guys like Investor probably thought apologizing was 'gay'.

With no time to waste, Investor asked if Prudence was done so they could leave. Maxwell wanted to suggest I follow them out, but before he could complete the sentence, he looked at my face and clearly understood I was not interested. He evaded and continued with, "That's true, you and Sewa are staying back on campus," reminding me of my night reading with Sewa. Normally, I would have gone home and changed first, but I didn't want to leave with them, so I used that as my exit strategy. I didn't turn back to see them leave; not wanting my eyes to accidentally meet with Investor's.

After a tiring day, I ditched my hoodie, feeling super hot, and crammed it into my crossbag. It was like stepping out of a lecture hall again, experiencing the relief of the warm breeze hitting my arms after being covered for so long. I strolled to the pre-degree hall, spying on Sewa from the window before entering through the front since the back door was locked. When I walked in, silence engulfed me. My gaze was fixed on Sewa, but our eyes didn't meet because she was engrossed in her book, not even glancing up. I reached her, and she finally looked up briefly, then back to her work. She was dead serious about her studies, although she was studying something different from what I expected. She enlightened me, saying, "We have physics practicals tomorrow," which I had forgotten about. I was already used to not having classes on Wednesdays, so it slipped my mind.

In a rush, I took a seat beside her and glanced at the practical manual. She informed me that we were set to tackle practical work on magnetism. I was curious about how she found out, and she explained that those who had already done their practicals today spilled the details to her. They were the ones who handed her the manual.

Sewa suggested we join heads, but I was coming up empty, feeling embarrassed. She rose, I was confused as to whether she had given up, so I asked, "Where are you going?", Sewa clicked her tongue, a sign that she did not like the idea of what she was about to say. "I want to go and ask them to teach me." She glanced ahead; it was a group of girls from the department that had had their practicals.

I followed her to the front, and among the group of girls, I recognized two as the ones I had taken pictures of at the faculty party. I didn't know the other two, but they were likely the ones I also took pictures of, though I wasn't certain. They made room for Sewa to join them, and while the girls were welcoming, I still felt insecure surrounded by so many of them. My insecurities were hindering my ability to engage, so I decided to call it a day, leaving Sewa with the girls as I headed home to retire.

...

Anatomy students were scheduled for physics practicals at 12 PM, but Sewa and I arrived an hour and thirty minutes early, already suited up in our lab coats with manuals and workbooks in hand. Not many people were milling around in their lab coats; only the students queued directly in front of the lab shared a similar appearance, but they weren't from our department. As usual, most of our department members weren't early. The line in front of the physics lab curved toward the end to avoid blocking the road. People were rushing around helter-skelter. I was relieved to have my lab coat and essentials, so I didn't have to be part of the chaotic movement up and down.

A guy approached me, requesting my lab coat, and without thinking, I fibbed, saying, "It's not for me; it's for someone else. He said I shouldn't give it to anyone." I don't know why I felt the need to explain so much because he stopped listening. Before he left, I inquired about the next department entering, and he mentioned it was "nursing." Anxiously, I looked for Maxwell in the line, but I couldn't spot him. I was concerned that Maxwell might not be aware that his department had practicals.