10 | CAMPUS ONE LOVE

I was too scared to hit up Sewa, fearing she might ignore me. I hoped she'd make the move, but she didn't, so the day wrapped up without us talking. The next morning, I had to go alone to class due to my reluctance to reach out. Boarding the Keke, I realized Rasheed was right behind me; I hadn't noticed. "Ah, so you are even here sef?" I took out one earphone to hear his reply, and he just smiled, giving a handshake. I plugged the earpiece back in as the Keke kicked off. It was our first time going to class together; usually, he'd be late, blaming it on staying at campus 1, which was far from our classes in campus 2.

We were the last pair to alight from the Keke, and as we got off, I paused my music to catch whatever Rasheed wanted to say. "How far Sewa?" Rasheed asked.

"Oh, we didn't come together," my response was already obvious and maybe stupid, but I didn't feel like breaking down what went down; he wouldn't get it anyway.

The class was half filled when we walked in from the front. Climbing the stairs, we were on the lookout for just two empty seats together. Before reaching the middle, I spotted a spot that worked for both of us. Kennedy was at the edge of the row. I thought about finding another spot because I was certain there was one, but I decided to overcome the catfish and actually get to know him. So, I went for it. "Good morning," he greeted, standing up to make way for us to enter. We greeted back together, and though I wanted to sit right next to him to spark a conversation, I had to move a bit further since I entered first. Rasheed ended up sitting beside him, putting himself between us.

Having someone in the middle made it less likely for a chat, but that didn't completely shut it down. Rasheed and Kennedy were already acquainted, diving into a conversation. I started feeling a bit left out, but I didn't want to come off as jealous and bother Rasheed, so I let them carry on. I pondered how to join in, but they were talking about wrestling, which didn't interest me at all, and I doubted anyone still cared about wrestling. However, when they mentioned "Roman Reigns," I recognized him, purely because he was popular. I figured I could contribute, but all I had were pretty gay things to say about him.

I kept strategizing about what to say to Kennedy until our chemistry teacher walked in, leaving me with no option but to concentrate. I began taking out notebooks to transcribe into. I considered asking for Kennedy's notebook as a reason to interact, but I was anxious that Rasheed might question why I didn't ask for his. Plus, I realized that this interaction could only go on for a short while. I needed to come up with a better excuse that would last longer.

The chemistry teacher addressed all of us in the hall, mentioning that due to ongoing practicals and make-ups, he was canceling the class. He offered a free night class at campus one for those still interested in learning, or we could resume next week. My opportunity to interact with Kennedy in class was suddenly cut short. I stood up, putting my notebook back in my crossbag. "So, like this now I would be going to campus 1 at night because of class?" I spoke to Rasheed, making my voice clear, while looking from the corner of my eye to see if Kennedy was looking at me. In a way, I wanted to get his attention.

"You can sleep over in my hostel" Rasheed suggested.

"You can sleep over at my hostel" I mimicked him playfully, aiming for a laugh from Kennedy, and it worked.

Rasheed didn't know, but I hated being around that many people. Despite that, I did want to attend the night class; I believed there was knowledge there that might not be covered in future classes.

"You are going for the night class?" Kennedy asked from his seat, my wish granted - I initially didn't intend to go, but now I had to for the chance of meeting Kennedy.

"Yes, you?" I wanted to keep the conversation going.

"I want to, but I don't know if I would be able to make it." Kennedy told me, "Since you're going, please give me your number, so you can send me the notes, incase I don't make it."