Chapter 4

Chapter Four

I walked down the hallway, Rachel at my side, on our way to class. "So, tell me more about this Patrick, who amazingly has made you not care about the fact that Kurt Ulmer is finally interested in you."

"There's not much to tell, Rachel."

"Oh, common, if he's as adorable as you say, then you must have every detail of your meeting etched in your tiny, insane, delusional, mind."

"Oh, Rachel, I'm blown away by your compliments," I said, sarcastically.

"Oh, I know," she replied. "But seriously. Tell me more. You're not hiding something, are you?"

"No, I'm not hiding anything," I said, my tone implying that I thought she was ridiculous for insinuating.

"Then give me details!"

"Okay, I was walking along, minding my own business, when 'BAM' I was hit by a car, or what felt like a car but was really a bicycle,"

"Wow, dramatic."

"Tell me about it," I said. "So, anyways, I fell to the ground, and hit my head, and he rushed to my side, panicking. He grabbed my hand and said, 'Wow, I can't believe I could run over someone as beautiful as you!'"

"REALLY?!"

"No!" I thought the fact that I was pulling this lame story out of my ass was really impressive, and she was falling for it! "He helped me up, and asked me if I was okay, I said 'yeah,' he said his name was Patrick, and I said, 'That's nice' and walked away."

"Hmm, what a life altering experience."

"I know."

"I was being sarcastic."

"I know."

We reached the classroom, and I went in ahead of her, glad to be excused from the conversation. I took my usual seat, with Rachel sitting on my right.

I sat quietly, when moments later, the final bell rung, and my teacher, Mrs. Griffin, told everyone to be quiet and take their seats. The noise in the room was beginning to settle down, when Rachel leaned over to me, across the aisle and whispered, "Patrick better look like a God to make up for that lame meeting."

I rolled my eyes, and looked up at the front, seeing something that made me think my eyeballs were going to roll out of their sockets.

He had just walked in the door.

I stared right at him, my jaw to the floor, stunned and oh so very confused. Rachel and I exchanged a few glances, wondering who this kid was, but her not knowing that I actually knew who he was.

He stood in the doorway, awkwardly, looking like he wasn't sure what to do. Mrs. Griffin then noticed him standing there and walked over to him. They exchanged a few words, then he followed her to the center of the room, and she said, "Ladies and gents, we have a new student with us. This is Patrick Abbot."

Rachel looked at me; her eyebrows raised and mouthed, "Patrick?"

Mrs. Griffin turned to him and whispered, "Pat?"

He replied, "No, just Patrick."

"Patrick has just moved here, so please make him feel welcome." That's what all the teacher's say, but its been worn out. New students are usually just ignored completely. No one cares, really.

Then Mrs. Griffin pointed to the only empty seat in the room and said; "Take a seat over there, Patrick." He looked in the direction she was pointing, at the only empty seat – beside me. Then he saw me and smiled.