Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Driving, I pulled out of the shop, fuming because of my missing ipod. Now what? I wondered. That thing is like my life. People at school might as well call me "that girl who always has her ear buds in her ears." And when they see that I don't have them, they'll think I've been through some kind of crisis. Which, I may as well have. I mean, come on, it's my ipod!

I pressed the button for 95.3 Virgin Radio, and "Masterpiece Theatre Pt. 2" by Marianas Trench was playing. Sighing, I relaxed, clearing my mind and listening to the song. Immediately I started singing along to the words, "I will softly pull away, in this broken beautiful mess I've made. And in the dead and quiet I will slowly fade, in this masterpiece I made. I'll burn out and slip away. And this just a part I portray. You're beautiful; can I hide in you and stay here? Making mostly to themselves. Hush now they'll hurt you till your heart melts. They know you're lonely and they will only break your heart. And this masterpiece will tear you apart."

The lyrics to that song always get to me and I started to choke up. I wiped a tear from my eye and I took my eyes off the road for a moment to reach into the glove compartment for a Kleenex. Obviously, a moment was two seconds too long, because what I didn't realized was that I was approaching a crosswalk and the light was red, and I looked up just in time to screech to a stop, just an inch away from hitting Patrick Abbot.

Clutching the steering wheel at 10 & 2, I was suspended forward and the seatbelt dug into my skin. I didn't realize whom it was that I had almost hit until I was stopped for a moment, permitting my heart to obtain its standard speed. He walked up to my window, which was rolled down, and I looked up to see the inevitable Patrick standing there. He didn't realize either whom it was that almost hit him, and when he peered into my car and saw me sitting there with my heart over my chest, the expression on his face looked like he was about ready to kill someone - Not that he wasn't angry before. I mean, he was almost hit by a car.

Thank fully, there were no people around to witness the incident. "I know I freaked out on you today but you don't have to try and pound me to the pavement, do you?" He asked me.

Breathing deeply, I responded, "I just might."

"Oh no, homicidal teenager on the loose people! Stay in your homes!" He exclaimed, almost hysterically.

I rolled my eyes. "Sorry about that."

He examined my face with his eyebrow raised. "Were you crying?" He questioned.

I wiped my face, on instinct. "No," I answered, instantly.

"Whatever you say." Okay, so you're alive, now go away. I thought.

He didn't go away.

"Um ... do ... you ... want a ride?" I asked him, must to my disdain.

He grinned. "So kind of you to offer!" He said, even though that was most likely the request he was waiting for.

"Yeah, whatever," I mumbled. He enthusiastically ran around the car, yanked open my passenger side door, and hopped in. After he was seated and buckled up, I glanced in my side-view mirror and only then noticed the line of cars behind me that had been forming. "Shit!" I exclaimed, taken by surprise.

"Wow, road rage much," Patrick commented, sarcastically.

"Okay, I'm only driving you home. No talking," I replied, not happy.

After the light was green, I drove on, and only a few seconds into the ride, Patrick put his feet up on the dash - Only to annoy me, I'm sure. "Can you put your freaking feet down? Jeez, whose car do you think this is?" I said.