2• its false but hurts the same

"What have you been doing for the past 3 years?" The words kept echoing in his head even after he left from there. He knows, he knows from an outside point of view, he was shit at playing but had reflexes that if put to use would make him a monster on the court. He's not oblivious he knows who was that. He's heard stories from Zumi ni. Tooru ni's rival, the bane of his existence he can't seem to see eye to eye which was an exaggeration if he says so himself. According to his cousin, something about Tobio just seemed to irk Oikawa's being, there's just something that feels off about Tobio. He says. He also said not to listen to the shit Oikawa spews. He's petty as hell. He agrees. (sorry Tooru ni but you're petty)

Kageyama Tobio. The King of the Court. The dictator that noone wanted to follow but a genius setter.

Those words shouldn't have hurt as much as they did. Words of someone who didn't know him, didn't know shit about his life had no right to assume things. But what irked Shoyo the most was how it was from someone who couldn't even make his players respect him. A dictator has no place on the team. Teamwork makes you win a match not a single player.

The snapping and ordering seemed so selfish like he had forgotten he wasn't the only one playing. But the look on his face when his teammates abandoned him, refused to play with him seemed like he might have had a realisation, albeit slow but if that didn't give a reality check to the guy, he doesn't know what will. But something about Kageyama Tobio made Shoyo want to prove his words wrong, made Shoyo burn with the urge to shut up the mouth that dared question his presence on the court.

But he couldn't do that without facing consequences could he? He hated this resurging feeling of wanting to be on the court for long with players who are monsters and give their all to the game. But he didn't even have that because Yugigaoka didn't have a volleyball team, all the players except him were either his friends or classmates he helped out who were here as a favour to help him out in the game. He supposes that's what happens when you ignore what your cousins advise you to do.

Hajime and Rin's words during the New year celebration again pop up in his head. Take this year to make a decision Sho.

Urghh, I will.

He washed his face in the bathroom and started to leave after watching that disastrous match of Kitagawa Daichi with Shiratorizawa Middle School.

What he didn't expect was to bump into the guy occupying his thoughts. Kageyama Tobio stood in all his stoic glory but his shoulders were somewhat hunched, eyes haunted but still having a stubbornness to him that irked Shoyo.

"I'll defeat you the next time we meet on court." Shoyo promised to the raven haired setter and to himself.

One day when I don't have to pretend, you will eat your words Kageyama kun.

"Only the strongest stay on the court until the end." He said and left.

Huh..but did you being the strongest matter when you were benched. He thought. He tried to ignore the comment that had the underlying meaning of he wasn't even able to stay on the court and win so what threat he would be. To be honest he didn't know it himself. Just when was the last time he played with someone freely and seriously. He does with his cousins yes but it's not always in a gym exactly, also they lack the players to play a serious match with all positions filled.

When he was in first year of his middle school he had sometimes tried to practice his jump serves to relieve stress and frustration. Looks like he needs to start practicing at a gym with someone again if he's gonna get serious from next year. Being sloppy is easy if he ignores the ball but being good is not.

Oh god....has he already made his decision....no nope not happening still flunking this year. It's just practice. Totally practice, he's just preparing for the 'what if' situation in second year.

He gets snapped out of his thoughts when his phone buzzes with a call.

Zumi ni~ is calling.

He picks it up.

"Hello"

"Sho chan, where are you? you were supposed to be at my house hours ago."

"Wait wait..." He checks the time and yelps. "Shit sorry Zumi ni, I was watching the other matches."

"Don't curse and also its fine but stay aware of your surroundings will you? Istg you always bump into trouble due to this."

Shoyo remembers bumping into Kageyama and chuckles nervously on the phone. "Hehe I am already on my way don't worry will be there at 30 mins tops."

"Be safe, its getting dark. And from the sound of it you did bump into trouble spill the tea when you're home. I'll be waiting. Oh do you want me to stay on the call with you?"

Fuck nothing escapes him huh. The last part was sweet but embarassing.

"I am 15 not 5 NII-CHAN!" Shoyo shouted into the phone.

"Lol I know Sho-chan is a big boy now and whatever but let me talk to you?"

Urgh why do you have to be so concerned you helicopter sweet sibling. He thought. Not gonna lie the dark thoughts and the burning feeling to do better was now gone. Tobio's words probably will echo again later but for now Shoyo's mind was occupied with the light hearted conversation he was having with his cousin.

Shoyo told him all about the matches, he had already texted they lost which was expected but he kept thoughts of Kageyama to himself for now. He probably won't bring him up until he was prompted to talk about it. He rather ignore the guy or his head will burst from the annoyance he had felt towards the guy or how his self deprecating self was having a field day. He wanted out of having to deal with those thoughts so he said enough but didn't delve into what was bothering him.

Its false words anyway so why does it hurt so much again....

Am I that undeserving to be on the court?

He tried to ignore his mind and chatted the whole way with Hajime and hung up the call just when he could see the house from his periphery.

"Tadaimaa~"

"Okairi Sho chan" His loving aunt called out.

It felt good to be here again often. His New Year conversation with his cousins led him to almost practically living here half of the time again.

Tbc

(a/n: so I'm back with chapter 2, it might not make much sense and it's not even a necessary chapter to most of you but i felt the first Kagehina interaction was important. And I wanted to show how it was different from canon. Here Shoyo stayed for the Shiratorizawa match lets pretend it was on the same day. And the interaction happened after they lost to Shiratorizawa. I wanted Shoyo to see Kageyama at his worst and then analyse the guy. I don't like Kageyama's character much due to his 'king' behaviour but I'll try to make him somewhat decent or I might not blehh depends on where the writing leads me, sometimes the plot seems to have a mind on his own. Convo with Hajime was initially going to be next chapter about Kageyama, after the high school year starts but I decided this interaction was important so here it is. Sorry the first few chapters are gonna be boring but new characters and new insights and new interactions are soon coming your way so hold on. I have exams in less than 2 weeks and I suddenly got invested here. So bear with me guys if updates are again slow. Sorry for rambling. Love you guys.)