5• iwaoi insecure bitches

Morning came sooner than Hajime had expected, the practice yesterday made him want to sleep more but alas he had to go through it again today at least he had hours before practice but he needed to get up if he wanted his cousins to not go hungry, disasters as they were in the kitchen. At least Sho knew baking.

A buzz from his phone had him look over by his side and he opened the screen to see a text from his annoying best friend of years, Oikawa Tooru. People might call him a tsundere but in the desolate room, his lips quirked up into a slight smile from seeing a text from his crush first thing in the morning but his reply betrayed his happiness.

shittykawa
ohayo iwa chan!
did you sleep well? ~

iwa-chan~
shittykawa why are you so chirpy in the morning...its too early for your crap.

shittykawa
ouch! you're a meanie and here I wanted to offer to treat you to a meal today at your favourite ramen place after practice since its ending early. guess i will go alone then :((

iwa-chan~
.....
ill go with you ig..its
free food anyway.

shittykawa
yayy its a date then ;)

Hajime felt a blush creeping up his neck to his cheeks, that idiotic flirt and then soon his heart panged with an ache as he wasn't special, Tooru was always like this flirting with everyone who will give him the time of day.

'You aren't special Hajime'. His brain reminded him.

He came out of his trance and just texted a whatever and shut his phone to go get ready for the day. Wrangling his cousins to make them get ready was always a chore anyway. He woke them up and made them breakfast and dinner they each did their own thing or spent time talking before the practice time. But his mind kept repeating the words of the text and wondering if Tooru did ever genuinely mean his flirting when it was him and not some pretty girl.

He was a simple guy, he has been told his sharp features and personality made him look cool and manly to the girls he had his share of admirers but he didn't pay attention to any of them. He didn't see the point in dating someone he didn't know unlike Oikawa who moved to one relationship after another every week or month. His longest standing relationship lasted 3 months if he recalled correctly.

He had asked Oikawa once why did he date them if he didn't like them. He just answered if there was a reason if he shouldn't date them, he felt that rejecting them when he didn't have a special someone yet anyway would feel rude and what if he ended up finding the one for him that way. But something was off about the way Oikawa mentioned the word 'special someone'. It was as if he had someone on his mind but then the next moment he shook his head and plastered that fake ass too happy smile on his face that made Iwaizumi want to shake the guy and yell to just be himself.

Did he not trust Iwaizumi to be his true self around him yet? It wasn't as if Tooru hadn't been vulnerable around Hajime infact the first time Tooru called him Hajime had given him a major whiplash and it wasn't even that long back, Tooru had a major fever after they again lost against Shiratorizawa in the finals in their last year of middle school. Oikawa was in a dark phase of insecurity then and Iwaizumi had to beat some sense into him. He was by his side and Oikawa latched on clingily to him showing some vulnerability again after years of suppressing his feelings.

You might be wondering that calling your best friend by their first name after that long of knowing each other must be weird but at least it was achieved within middle school, Hajime had almost lost all hopes of hearing his first name from Tooru. And being able to call him Tooru for the first time too was a feeling that Hajime can't describe but then the fever got okay and they were back to Iwa chan and Shittykawa or Bakakawa or Crappykawa whatever nickname suited his mood.

Whenever Oikawa let himself be vulnerable, say for example mostly when they lost to Shiratorizawa or if he was sick he ended up calling Iwaizumi 'Hajime' and then Hajime would revert to being the softie he is for Oikawa Tooru because he didn't have the heart to keep up his facade either when Tooru was being just Tooru.

He didn't know when again he would be called Hajime this year but he waited for those precious little moments each year so much that he wished they lost to Shiratorizawa everytime or Tooru got sick everytime which was really bad of him to expect that.

But thankfully Oikawa had a strong metabolism and he didn't get sick that often and no matter what Iwaizumi said about losing to Shiratorizawa he would give his all to defeat them every time to see Oikawa smile brightly at least once when they reached Nationals. Because honestly he missed that pure real smile. All he saw these days was that fake smile that made him want to kill someone and ask Oikawa, 'Who hurt you? Tell me so I can make it better.'

Only if both of them could express what their insecurities were, be more honest about their emotions then it wouldn't have taken that long at all, alas its not their getting together day yet but that day will come one day indeed. His cousins won't stop before they get their favourite pair together after all.

Soon they all went to practice at the local gym again and they worked on teaching Shoyo some new things they had learnt in between the 1 and a half whole year of Sho avoiding them and the topic of volleyball altogether.

"We need to work on your blocking more, your receives are looking fine today, it was a lot shaky yesterday. You have gotten used to it now though it seems which is good, your receive form is now par to what they were before. Each week practice would make them more perfect." Rintarou said to Shoyo. "But I feel like I am being no help here Sho-chan, I'm good at blocking yes but everyone has different blocking styles, yours just don't seem to match up with what I do. So don't feel gloomy for now search videos of different volleyball matches and observe their blockers as much as you can. You're good at learning by observing tho I know practical teaching makes it more easy for you but for now do what I said. I'll try to get some opinions from others if I can." Rin said ruffling Shoyo's hair when he saw his cousin pouting.

"I shouldn't have stopped practicing urghh my limbs hurt. Also Rin-ni don't say you're of no help, you just have crazy intuition when it comes to blocking its almost like you lure the spikers into a trap they can't escape and before they know it they are playing to your tunes. It's scary but awesome. I don't know how you do it. I figured that out already that I probably can't learn your blocking style I'm thinking of watching Date Tech's blocking videos, they're known for their defense after all. I think I'll focus on my receives and serving for now. I hope high school can help with the blocking a bit more if I play in matches against different types of blockers." Shoyo replied.

"Say Sho-chan do you want to learn a jump floater serve?" Oikawa asked Shoyo.

"Omgggg yes yes yes please Tooru san will you teach me? Also you know jump floaters tooo wowowow." Shoyo was basically sparkling and salivating at the idea of learning how to do a jump floater serve. Hajime was surprised too he knew Oikawa was working on it recently but he didn't know he had perfected it already since he seemed to be focusing on making his jump serves more powerful and speedy.

"Ah... I'm not completely perfect at it yet but I feel I can land some service aces with it, it's still tough to control the aim though. It requires a firm and clean hand/ball contact so that it imparts no spin on the ball. It has to have a flat tragectory too and the velocity should be around 30-35 mph?" Oikawa started rambling his science jargon regarding the technicalities of the serve and Shoyo the secret nerd that he was seemed to gobble it all up like he was given a Christmas feast.

Hajime and Rin exchanged glances at that time and mumbled at the same time."Just what monsters have we unleashed?"

Hajime sighed. "It's already too late to repent cuz."

Tbc.

(a/n: hellooo everyone! back with a new chapter the ramen date will happen next chapter and then we will see some shoyo flashback before diving into karasuno arc, sorry if I bored you this chapter with Hajime's insecurity but both Oikawa and Iwaizumi are emotionally constipated, they would do anything for each other but suck at communication. Also don't dare refute me that Oikawa's smile doesn't seem fake sometimes his persona seems such a facade to me. Anyway I have my next exam on Tuesday and I might update tomorrow or on Tuesday after my exams, comment and lemme know if you're liking whatever I'm writing:))