CHAPTER 6

She was in the bathroom, getting ready for the day. She had just finished brushing her teeth when she heard her phone beep. She picked it up and saw that she had a new message.

It was from her colleague, John. He had been flirting with her for a while, but she had always made it clear that she wasn't interested.

She opened the message and read it.

"I love you," it said.

She sighed. She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to hurt his feelings, but she also didn't want to lead him on.

She put her phone down and finished getting ready. She went downstairs and made herself some breakfast.

Her boyfriend, the villain, came downstairs a few minutes later.

"What's the matter?" he asked. "You look upset."

"I'm fine," she said.

"You're sure?" he asked.

She nodded. "I'm sure."

He sat down at the table and started eating his breakfast.

She ate her breakfast quickly and then got up to go get dressed.

"I'll be back in a minute," she said.

"Okay," he said.

She went upstairs to her bedroom and got dressed. She put on a cute dress and a pair of heels. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. She felt good.

She went downstairs and her boyfriend was sitting on the couch, watching TV.

"I'm ready to go," she said.

He looked up from the TV and smiled. "You look beautiful," he said.

"Thank you," she said.

They walked out the door and to his car. He drove them to work.

When they got to work, she went to her desk and started working on her computer. She was trying to focus, but she couldn't stop thinking about John's message.

She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to hurt his feelings, but she also didn't want to lead him on.

She decided to talk to him about it later.

At lunch, she went to the cafeteria and bought herself a sandwich. She sat down at a table and started eating.

John came over and sat down across from her.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," she said.

"How are you?" he asked.

"I'm fine," she said.

"I'm glad," he said.

He took a bite of his sandwich and then looked at her.

"I wanted to talk to you about my message last night," he said.

"Okay," she said.

"I know you probably don't feel the same way about me," he said. "But I had to tell you how I feel."

"I appreciate your honesty," she said. "But I'm not interested in a romantic relationship with you."

He nodded. "I understand," he said. "I just wanted you to know."

"Thank you," she said.

They finished their lunch and then went back to work.

She felt relieved that she had talked to John. She didn't want to lead him on, and she was glad that he understood.