Off the Case

"What do you mean we're off the case?" Reed was sitting in Fowler's office with Nines at his side fuming at this latest revelation. Nines' LED span yellow as he regarded Fowler, who had a somewhat stern expression on his face. He wasn't angry, but it seemed this wasn't an issue he was willing to budge on. "What the phck happened? We didn't do anything wrong! We were almost shot!" Reed looked more wounded and annoyed than angry. Fowler held up a hand for silence, dark eyes somewhat understanding as he leaned forward in his seat.

"I never said you did, but we've received an official request. The AHL believes you may be somewhat...compromised." His hand raised the moment he saw Reed's mouth open to shout an objection. "I don't believe it! However, it wouldn't hurt to let Hank and Connor take this one. The AHL's concerns are valid. You were held captive and tortured by the victim, and you even admitted on air that he got what he deserved." It was rare for Fowler to remove him from a case. Unheard of when he hadn't actually done anything to deserve it.

"I said he deserved it, but I also made it clear that I didn't phcking agree with it one bit!" Fowler huffed fondly at his almost sulking tone. Taking a case from Reed was like taking a toy from a kid. He knew he liked to be busy and active. It was one of the things that made him an outstanding detective. Nines nodded his agreement. Their removal did seem somewhat uncalled for. However, he could also sympathise with Fowler's position. They wouldn't want the DPD to come across as biased. Reed's involvement could also raise questions in any later court case.

"I know, and I fully acknowledge that. Your removal is in no way a reflection of you or your commitment here...If anything, this is an advantage. You have some training to oversee in a couple of months, and you need time to prepare for it...Take this extra time to complete a couple of assignments for Hank and get ready for the new recruits." Fowler's suggestion calmed him somewhat, especially with the mention of his upcoming duties. He couldn't help feeling proud. This would be his first time running a training session as the man in charge. He'd taken part in sessions before, mainly as an extra set of hands, but running it would be different. He'd be in charge of official assessments and grading for the first time. Nines hid his smirk. Fowler was clever. He'd distracted Reed by offering him a new focus. "Write up your reports of the incident, add in any recommendations you have, any leads on how to proceed, and send them to Hank and Connor. After that, I want you to focus on those written assignments and your training outline. I'll need to see the outline before work on training modules can begin. How long will it take you to write it up?" Reed paused a moment to contemplate.

"I could have it for you by tomorrow afternoon." It was still early afternoon, so typing up the incident and case reports would probably take them until lunchtime. After that, the assignments due were already half finished, and he knew the basic beats of training. An outline of the session shouldn't take too long to throw together. He could focus on the assignments that day, then the outline tomorrow morning or even when they got home. Regular sparring with Nines had already given him a few ideas for android engagement. He also wanted to add in a module aimed at the android staff. Something to help them adjust to working with their human partners and getting the most out of both parties.

"Alright then. Dismissed." Fowler returned to his own work as Reed nodded and led the way out, a little of the bounce returning to his step as he starting going over different training regimes in his head. He was already noting things down on a pad as he took his seat. He didn't want to forget anything. Nines' lips twitched as he opened a document to begin his own report for Connor. He downloaded everything he'd found at the scene and began putting it in order. Text flowed across the page automatically, filling the screen within a few seconds.

"I saw the news reports! I'm glad neither of you were hurt," Connor greeted in relief as he and Hank arrived. Reed wasn't sure whether they were returning from a scene or just arriving for work. It could be either. He was pretty sure Connor kept a constant news feed streaming in his head, especially since the school bus incident. Speaking out loud had likely been for his benefit, so he grunted out an acknowledgement as Connor reached out to interface with Nines. He shared his relief and curiosity as Nines shared his thanks and the case files. "I see...Captain Fowler hasn't briefed us yet. We've only just arrived." He kept his tone suitably apologetic, knowing how much losing the case would get to Reed.