❪ OO ❫ Prologue

Prologue       ⨾       The Annual 67th Hunger Games Reaping.

'Are you ready for it?'

Inez's breath hitched as her mother tightened her dress' corset.

"Do I seriously have to wear this tight thing every reaping?" she asked, shortness of breath evident in her voice.

Her mother stroked her hand through her daughter's hair. "It's tradition for the women in this family. The embroidery on the corset contains the Stark family emblem." she replied. Inez looked down and traced the patterns laid on the hard cloth lightly.

Inez snickered lightly as she had a thought. "My lack of oxygen would probably kill me before the possibility of me in the games actually happens." she said with a slight laugh in her tone. Her mom immediately shushed her.

"Don't say that. You won't be picked." Ilaria said with her scolding voice, causing the younger girl to turn around.

"It's not set in stone, right? You and dad had us trained for a reason." she reminded.

Ilaria simply sighed and shook her head. "Still. Don't say that. I don't even want to think about it after what happened to your brother." she stated with a frown. Inez's face dropped at the memory.

She was always close to her brother. He was the reason she believed in the hidden goodness their world had. His death broke her. Every reminder of him instantly brought her back to when she was twelve and grieving.

Truth be told, Inez was terrified. Terrified of the thought of being chosen for the games. But she constantly shoved a mask onto her face and covered any traces or minute specks that would possibly show that she was nervous. That she was in fear. Inez was a performer. An actor.