Chapter Three

The guards gave Elouise a funny look when she asked them to fetch a carriage for Lord Udolf. To make matters worse, she specifically told them not to mention any of this to her father. Still, they obliged and sent servants to prepare a wagon.

Elouise left and waited near the inn's stables for Udolf to exit. The moment he appeared in her sights, she leaped out in front of him. He recoiled then scowled at her after recovering.

"I am ready," she chirped, and he pulled her aside.

"What are you doing?" he asked, in a hushed and angered tone.

"I am going with you," she reminded him, glancing once at the royal blue cloak slung over his shoulder. "And we should hurry along. The carriage should be waiting"—she yelped when Udolf wrapped that cloak around her.

"What are you doing?" she demanded. "It is halcyon and uncomfortably warm..." Then she trailed off when he tied the cloak and put the hood over the head for her.

"I am not going to be seen leaving with you," he explained.

"Oh, yes, because this is a perfect disguise!"

Udolf huffed. "Do you want to go with me or not?"

Elouise opened her mouth to further protest, but she groaned and nodded instead. "Yes."

"I will head to the carriage first and distract the guards while you sneak inside, because as you pointed out, this is not a perfect disguise. Your guards will not ask questions if you keep quiet and keep your head down. Understood?"

"I do not appreciate you telling me what to do," she retorted, pointing up at him. Strangely, this had him smiling softly, emitting a sparkle in his light-green eyes that she couldn't quite decipher.

"Follow me," said Udolf, moving around her, "but do not stray too close." He led the way.

Elouise took a few deep breaths, reminding herself she was doing this for Eldon. And that was enough to help her find the strength to walk.

The carriage awaited Udolf just beyond the castle gate. Elouise watched from behind a small crowd as he made his way over to it, a slight bounce in his step that made her shake her head. He was so proud of this minimal victory, but it would not be so simple next time.

She watched as one of the guards addressed him and how he nodded to everything he was told. Finally, the guard opened the carriage door for him. Before getting inside, however, Udolf paused in his step and seemingly gasped as if remembering something. He put his hand on the guard's broad shoulder and turned her to face away from the wagon. Then he leaned in closer and whispered into her ear. The guard side-eyed him a moment, but she ultimately nodded and gestured to the other nearby guards who went over to hear for themselves.

This was it, wasn't it? Elouise's opening. She kept her head ducked as she walked around the crowd and ran for the carriage door on the other side. As she drew closer, she could hear what Udolf was telling these guards.

"Therefore, my suggestion is to have more of your men and women posted outside the walls. I cannot say for certain what I heard is true, but we wouldn't want to take any risks now, would we?"

Elouise squeezed her brows together. She had no time to wait around and dwell on what he meant, though. She took hold of the small knob and turned it.

"We shall inform His Majesty about this," the female guard assured. Then, after a short pause, "Th-Thank you, Lord Udolf."

Elouise slipped inside just as Udolf did. They closed their doors at that exact moment and turned to each other. She was relieved the burgundy-colored curtains on the windows were shut. Then she quickly switched to the bench across from his and waited until he gave the signal to the coachman before asking, "What did you say to them?"