Chapter Thirteen

Haven kept pulling Eldon by his wrist toward Udolf's manor. Unfortunately, Eldon insisted on dragging his feet as he stared up at the colors in the sky.

"Eldon, hurry," she demanded, yanking him harder.

"What are those?" he asked, forcefully halting in his tracks.

"I don't know." Haven sneered back at him.

This was pointless. No matter what she did, he would stop and stare at those lights. There was no use fighting it. After a dreadfully long stroll around the city, which mainly consisted of Eldon trying to touch everything, Haven just wanted to curl into bed and forget any of this even happened. Well, after she spoke to Udolf about Elouise's visit, that is.

Haven released Eldon and stood beside him, folding her arms across her chest. She took a deep breath before gazing upward at the waves of light.

"Do you hear that?" he asked her, voice hushed.

"Hear what?" She side-eyed him.

"It's like... whispers. You don't hear 'em?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "It's like they're comin' from those lights."

I'm not the one who is apparently part angel. She shook her head, unsure how much she believed that. Udolf had seemed serious when he'd explained everything to her about the previous guardian, and how he'd been the Angel of Healing reborn as a human. And she supposed she had no right to be a skeptic when she'd told him about the angels in the first place.

Haven then looked at the sky again and pursed her lips. Well, if it is true, then speak louder. Let him hear you. Fix him.

"Remember," Eldon uttered, and Haven's heart leaped. "They said to remember." He turned to her, eyes comically wide. "You didn't hear that?"

"I told you I don't hear shit," she snapped.

"Was I imaginin' it?"

Haven watched the lights slowly faded to nothing, revealing the dark mass of the night sky once again. She sighed and lowered her shoulders. So much for that. "Come on." She took hold of his wrist again—less roughly this time. "Let's get some rest. You wouldn't want to be sleepy and grumpy on your birthday."

He followed without protest and remained silent the entire way there. She caught him sneaking peeks upward, increasing her eagerness to seek Udolf out and discuss this whole matter with him.

The guards patrolling the lawn ignored them as they made their way into the building. Haven let go of Eldon and called out for Udolf. They'd returned much later than she'd anticipated, but she was certain he hadn't gone to bed yet. She spotted a servant bustling by and ordered him to find Udolf for her and let him know she needed to speak with him. She then plopped onto the stone throne while she waited. Eldon tilted his head, staring curiously at her. She glowered in return.

A moment later, Udolf entered the foyer. Haven waved Eldon away, demanding him to leave them be. However, Udolf snatched Eldon by the sleeve of his raggedy beige shirt and pulled him back.

"Actually, Haven and Eldon—"

"Ah, well look at who has finally returned," Godwin's voice echoed.

Haven jolted upright, her breath getting caught in her throat. Godwin emerged from the same open archway Udolf had come from, his devious grin strained.

Godwin glanced at Eldon, then at Haven. "Did you two enjoy yourselves?" He raised a finger. "I certainly hope you did, because that is the first and last time you ever leave."