Chapter Thirty-Six

Udolf whined as he felt himself wake from the most peaceful slumber. He could even say it was the best sleep he'd gotten in months.

"Ah, are you finally awake?" Godwin asked.

Udolf slowly blinked his eyes open and saw him sitting on the windowsill. The morning sunlight crept in around him, making him glow like the divine being he was—or swore he was.

"I trust you are feeling better," he added. "You may experience a few side effects and also long-term damages from the poison, but you will manage."

"So, it was Lord Montgomery, wasn't it?" Udolf asked as he sat upright. Then he snickered and shook his head. "He was already dying, anyway."

Godwin chuckled as well. "I quite enjoyed his stories. He viewed the world differently than most noblemen I've encountered. What a shame he had to go and do something so dreadfully cliché."

"Are you referring to the failed attempt of murdering me as a cliché?"

"After centuries of people attempting to kill you, you no longer take offense to it."

Udolf rolled his eyes when Godwin glanced out the window.

"What a lovely day it is," Godwin then said, the corners of his lips rising. He had that look in his eyes—a devious glint that told Udolf he had something planned. Whether or not Udolf would be able to know now—or ever—wasn't certain.

Rather than dwell on it, Udolf took a deep breath and winced at the slight ache in his chest. Long-term damages... precisely what he needed.

"Rest easy, Udolf," Godwin said as he crossed the room to the door. "We want our king to be in the best shape." He snickered to himself and left. There were many things wrong with his words, yet Udolf focused solely on the "want."

"What are you doing, Godwin?" he asked. "What are you planning?" His body still felt too weak, and he couldn't muster the strength to think hard enough. So, he got himself comfortable again and fell asleep.

---

Mercia leaned over and kissed his cheek as he woke up.

A few weeks had passed since he'd been poisoned. Lord Montgomery was still imprisoned, and Udolf had to constantly hear Lady Fayre curse at him about it. He sometimes felt tempted to take both and hang them together. Except he needed Fayre alive in case Elouise ever returned. And he would've already taken care of Lord Montgomery. However, keeping him down there—cold, worried, and waiting for his demise seemed more satisfying than simply killing him. A slow suffering to death like he'd attempted to give Udolf.

Mercia sat up, covering herself with the sheets. "Do you love me?" she asked so quickly he almost didn't understand.

Udolf turned his head to look at her, and he furrowed his eyebrows. "No."

"Will you ever?"

"I believe we made this clear already. Is Eldon still not the one you genuinely care for?"

Mercia frowned as she averted her eyes. "I do care for him. He has been such a gentleman to me. As we spend more time together, though, I do not feel the same passion with him as I do with you."

Udolf could've laughed. Instead, he sighed. "Lust is all you feel with me, as I do with you."

"I don't believe that."

"It is the truth."

"I believe you are afraid to admit you could actually care for me." Mercia threw the covers off herself and crawled out of the bed. Udolf looked away as she dressed herself, and he laughed this time at her words.

"I am not afraid of anything," he said. "Worry more about Eldon's affections for you. After all, you are the one hoping for his promise." Then he flinched when a pillow smacked the side of his head.

Mercia stormed out of there before he could say anything to her. Udolf groaned as he tossed the pillow across the room.

Pathetic. He had many more things to care about than whatever went through Mercia's mind and heart. Such as the fact that Godwin had continued with his secrets, locking himself away—hours at a time—and never mentioning a word about it to Udolf.

Now that unnerved Udolf more than anything else could. He didn't doubt Godwin would have a long list of secrets he'd never confess to anyone. But to be so evidently working on matters in the dark and not bothering to even hint at what it could be meant trouble. Udolf knew it had to do with Godwin's need to become stronger. Whatever it was, Godwin had found a solution.

Udolf forced himself to get up and change. He then stood in front of the window and crossed his arms as he stared out into the garden. Mercia ran up to Eldon who'd been speaking to a soldier. Eldon dismissed the soldier and turned to Mercia with a smile. She threw her arms around his neck and embraced him closely.

Then Eldon's smile faded as he loosely wrapped his arms around her waist. He appeared to be in a daze as he stared off into the distance, yet he blinked hard and mustered another smile when she pulled back. He didn't love Mercia either. There was pity in his dark brown eyes. He at least cared for her, but courting her was an obligation, and he no doubt felt guilty about now that he'd gotten to know her better.

"Poor Mercia," Udolf whispered. "I suppose we have one thing in common. We will never be loved." He smirked as he stepped away.

On his way toward the dining hall, he noticed someone following him. When he glanced behind him, nobody was there. Well, certainly not. He continued onward until he felt the urge to check again. He slowed his pace, his fingers twitching toward his scimitar, and he hummed to himself. Then he heard them hum along with him.

Udolf spun on his heel, holding out his sword in front of him. Ivy had already stopped, though, and she grinned at him.

"What the hell do you want?" he demanded.

"Luna came to visit me," she said, touching her chest. "We went for a ride around Aristol."

Udolf arched an eyebrow. "This hardly sounds like something relevant to me."

"Oh, it will. You would like to know I spotted a ship docking. Quite an extravagant kind, too."

"What are you saying?" Udolf widened his eyes.

Ivy's grin twisted deviously. "You are interested now, aren't you? You are about to have royal guests, Your Majesty."

"Royal?" His heart dropped, and he swallowed hard.

"Such an honor, too. Another king is coming to the castle."

Udolf blinked, lowering his shoulders. His heartbeat slowly returned to normal. "Ivy, get on with it! Who is it?"

"Maximus of Arendice," she said. Then she covered her mouth as she laughed. "Tread carefully, Udolf. I heard he might've successfully killed his own brother." She winked at him as she skipped past him.

Udolf watched her until she left his sight. And he was left standing there, gawking, and staring at an empty wall. What business would Prince (or King?) Maximus have here?

He couldn't begin to fathom what, but he suddenly lost his appetite and retreated to his study instead.