Chapter 1: the story starts when it was hot and it was summer and...

April 28, 1814 — In the enchanting blossoms of Hampstead Heath, a flurry of young ladies comes into bloom, ready for the marriage market. Naturally, with this burgeoning assembly of eligible maidens, we witness the onslaught of ambitious mamas eagerly scheming to secure titled matches for their daughters. While the ton, much like this author, must exercise patience for the season's full bloom, anticipation builds for the revelation of this year's potential brides.

Yet, dear reader, let us not forget the bachelorettes from seasons past who linger in the shadows of singledom. The Featherington sisters, ever hopeful, must yearn for a more favorable outcome this season, though surely they cannot hope to achieve this if their unfortunate citrus-hued gowns continue appearing.

And what of the three eligible Bridgerton brothers? This author would be remiss not to mention the three eldest Bridgerton brothers of marriageable age, and one wonders whether Daphne Bridgerton's supremely successful past season will help to placate the dowager Viscountess Bridgerton or instead to double her efforts to see her eldest offspring married off in successful pairings.

A preview of the upcoming season would be incomplete without a nod to Miss Y/N Beaumont, who deferred her debut by a year for reasons officially unknown to the ton. However, this author cannot help but observe Miss Beaumont's perennial immersion in a book, prompting speculation about Lady and Lord Beaumont's indulgence in allowing their daughter to delay her social debut in favor of scholarly pursuits. Unconventional motives, to be sure, but when have the Beaumonts ever conformed to societal expectations? Regardless, the ton eagerly awaits the coming out of perhaps the most obvious choice for the diamond of the season.

Miss Beaumont's close association with the second eldest Bridgerton is a testament to both families' disregard for societal conventions, a fact for which this author is most grateful, as it undoubtedly contributes to the success of this gossip sheet. Will one of the Bridgerton sons awaken to the prospect of offering Miss Beaumont his hand in matrimony this season? Only time will tell, but rest assured, dear readers, you will be informed as promptly as I.

"Y/N, surely you've read the latest Whistledown," Theo's mischievous voice traveled across the sitting room. "It says Benedict's sure to propose to you this season!"

Immediately lifting your gaze from the pages of your newest read, you narrowed your gaze at your elder brother. "Stop antagonizing me, Theodore. Why do you even read the damned thing anyway? It's unbecoming of a young man in polite society," you responded haughtily, discreetly scanning the room for another copy of the gossip sheet.

"What is actually unbecoming is a proper lady, such as yourself, using such vulgar expressions. All that reading is really no use when you sound like that. And here," Theo answered with a laugh, unceremoniously flinging the sheet in your direction. "You can stop pretending you're not intrigued. The entire column seems devoted to you today anyway."

As you reached for the sheet and began to read, eyes hungrily scanning over the pages to see what the elusive Lady Whistledown had to say, your mother entered the sitting room. Lady Primrose swiftly confiscated the gossip sheet from your grasp with an exasperated sigh. "Darling, why do you read such trivial gossip? We have an entire library full of books of substance. There's no need to waste time on the musings of a bored woman with nothing better to do than spread rumors," she chided.

Knowing she would more than likely take the gossip sheet up to her room and pore over it later, you sneakily shared knowing glances with your siblings. Turning her attention to the assembled Beaumonts, your mother wore a good-natured smile. "I'm pleased to have you all here. We're invited to the Bridgertons' residence for tea this afternoon, so please ensure you're ready on time. Theo and Bastian, I've heard Colin has returned from his travels, so there's no excuse for your absence. Even Daphne and the Duke will be present, so I'm sure we'll all have a lot to catch up on."