Chapter 15: three times 'cause I've waited my whole life

A/N: there is a proper epilogue coming after this! sorry for the shorter chapter, I just realized I didn't want a big time jump in the middle of the chapter teehee

September 3, 1814 - Dearest readers, the time has finally come. It is my distinct pleasure to inform you that Miss Y/N Beaumont will be Mrs Benedict Bridgerton by no later than tonight. While this author did not receive an invitation to the intimate event, seeing as it is being held at the Bridgertons' residence in Kent, I am sure the wedding will be fantastic.

Some members of the ton might have been surprised to learn of this union, given that Miss Beaumont was courting Mr Bridgerton's brother, the Viscount, for a significant portion of the season. However, as we all know, affairs of the heart are not easily predicted or explained. Or perhaps they are, given that Miss Beaumont and Mr Bridgerton have been best friends since childhood, and it was really only a matter of time until this day came. One can only wish the couple a lifetime of happiness as we await further details of the wedding with bated breath.

"Scared?"

"No."

"Second thoughts?"

"No."

"Are you even nervous, Y/N?"

"Cassandra, I swear I will hit you with this hairbrush," you snapped, thoroughly annoyed by your sister's unrelenting line of questioning. Your lady's maid was currently struggling to plait your hair as you became more and more irritated, but it was difficult to stay still when your sister was being this much of a nuisance.

Cass laughed but inched ever so slightly away from you just in case you decided to hit her with the brush you were currently gripping. "So you actually aren't nervous," she mused.

You rolled your eyes, sighing deeply as you made eye contact with your sister through the mirror in front of you. "Why would I be nervous?" you asked earnestly.

Cass raised her eyebrows at you as if the answer were obvious. "Because you're getting married. Isn't this what you were panicking about just a few months ago? Your wedding? And everything that came with it?"

You opened your mouth to argue with your sister, but no words came out. You supposed she was right. You had spent more than a few sleepless nights inconsolable over the thought of having to get married. "Well, I didn't know I would be marrying Ben at the time," you said. "It's not the same."

"Not the same, how?" Cass probed, curious as to what she should take note of in a few years when she made her debut in society. Seeing you as happy as you were with Benedict made her excited for her own chance at finding love, but she couldn't quite forget the now-infamous Henri Deschamps, and she would do anything to avoid ending up with a man like him.

You hummed, deep in thought as you mulled over Cass' question. Why wasn't it the same with Benedict? "I can't quite explain it," you said, not missing the exasperated look on your sister's face as you gave her an unsatisfying answer. She gestured for you to continue, and you obliged. "It just feels right. I was so anxious during the season, but whenever I was with Ben it was just a breath of fresh air. I felt like I could finally breathe, even if we were fighting or upset with one another."

"I just know that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing," you added, a dopey smile on your face.

Cass cooed at you, recognizing your love-struck smile as the same one you had whenever you were around Benedict. It was nothing short of a miracle that the two of you realized you were deeply in love with one another. The whole family had been secretly rooting for it. In fact, Cass knew that Colin and the twins had had an ongoing bet about it. Given Theo's uncharacteristically excited whoop at dinner a month ago when you announced your engagement, in addition to his recent purchase of a new pocket watch, Cass was almost certain he had won.