Chapter 2: they tell you that you're lucky but you're so confused

May 12, 1814 - Dear readers, As the season unfurls its splendid wings, the grand event of the ton draws near. In precisely one week, the radiant debutantes shall grace the glittering halls of Queen Charlotte's ball, hopefully looking radiant as they enter the marriage mart. Society is already buzzing with excitement, and the favorite topic of conversation is none other than the captivating Miss Y/N Beaumont. Known for her enigmatic charm and intellect, Miss Beaumont remains the ton's cherished candidate to capture the attention of the most eligible bachelors.

It also appears that the esteemed Duke and Duchess of Hastings have been seen making their way into town for the second time in only a month. This author must note that the Beaumont twins' birthday looms on the horizon, and it seems that the Duchess of Hastings has come to extend her felicitations and, hopefully, to offer Miss Beaumont some sage advice on how to find a husband.

Your impatience grew as your lady's maid meticulously attended to the task of dressing you for Theo and Bastian's birthday gathering. Having both families together again was incredibly exciting, and you were dying to return to them. The afternoon had been marked by an intense (and at times bordering on violent) pall mall match, leaving your pale purple day dress full of grass stains. Your triumph, undoubtedly sweet, had left you rushing to change into a more suitable dinner gown, a precarious endeavor knowing your older brothers did not take well to having to wait for food.

At last, appropriately dressed and fashionably late, you glided into the dining room, eyes instantly drawn to the unoccupied seat adjacent to Benedict with his arm casually draped over it. A surge of warmth coursed through you as you settled into your place, exchanging a quick, appreciative smile with Ben, only to be interrupted by Bastian's hearty proclamation across the table, "Finally, Miss Y/N Beaumont decided to grace us with her presence. Shall we feast?"

---

Benedict sensed the undercurrent of nervous energy emanating from you throughout dinner, an unmistakable symptom of the growing anxiety regarding your upcoming debut at Queen Charlotte's ball. While the two of you had deliberately steered clear of discussions regarding the subject, it had become impossible to ignore Lady Whistledown's ever-growing excitement over the beginning of the season and of your debut in particular. Or rather, Benedict's siblings had made it impossible to ignore the gossip sheet's flattering words about his best friend. The delay of your coming-out year had caused quite a stir, and the mystery surrounding you had unexpectedly propelled you into the ton's spotlight. Nevertheless, Ben was aware of your mixed feelings toward the subject and was intentional in avoiding talks about marriage unless you brought them up. Dinner seemed to be going along effortlessly, with no substantial mention of the upcoming season, until he heard his mother addressing Anthony.

"My darling, isn't it high time you found a wife of your own? Aren't you lonely at all? Queen Charlotte's ball is in a week, and I would be delighted to acquaint you with this year's ladies of the ton!"

Turning to look at his brother's slightly panicked face, Benedict couldn't help but stifle a laugh at the mental image of his brother settling down in the coming weeks. "I would eventually like to, of course, but I've yet to feel the urgency. Still recovering from dealing with Simon and Daphne last year," Anthony jokingly responded, shooting a wink at the couple. With an evil grin, he turned to Alex and said, "But I'm sure Alexander would be interested, right?"

After almost choking on a forkful of pheasant, Alex swatted Anthony on the chest, earning a disapproving look from Lady Primrose. Scrambling for an answer that directed attention away from him, Alex quickly added, "No, no! I am quite alright, thank you very much. I think I would rather wait a couple of years and let Y/N have her unobstructed debut without the threat of her older brother scaring potential suitors away."