Chapter 25 - Study

"We could start with habits, I guess. Anything that could help us predict where your son might go next or who he might target."

Mrs Prasad rubbed her chin in thought. I could picture the gears turning in her head as she brought up memories from times long past to give us something, anything as a lead for our investigation.

"Well... I think I might have told you this before, but my ancestors used to eat other people. That's a stereotype our generation is trying to avoid. But, if I had to suggest something... Hm. I remember my grandfather telling me stories about how his grandfather had hunted. Isolated his victims, usually just the one person. They never targeted sick or the elderly, something about their meat not tasting good or being worth the risk."

She wrung her hands together as she talked, clearly nervous about the subject matter we were discussing. But it was pertinent information. If anything could lead us to Benjamin, it would be his mother. Or at least so we hoped.

"I...just want my son back, detectives. I don't want to talk about him like he's some sort of monster. He's my son!"

"I know, Mrs Prasad. We're doing our best to get him back. It's why we have to ask you these questions. I know it's difficult, but we need as much help as we can get to find him."

Evelyn spoke softly and I watched as she reached over to put a hand on top of Chandri's and gave it a reassuring pat. Mrs Prasad nodded to Evelyn, tears beginning to well in her eyes.

"I understand, detectives. It's just that all of this is very hard on me and my husband. We want our son back. That's all."

She sighed and her hands went back into her lap, worriedly wringing her fingers together and fiddling with a gold ring on her left ring finger.

"I get that, Mrs Prasad. I do. Is there anything else you want to tell us about rakshasa that might help in locating your son?"

She paused for a moment, brow furrowed in thought. Then she shook her head, affixing us with an apologetic look.

"Not really, no. I'm sorry, detectives. A lot of what we rakshasa used to do just doesn't really apply to the modern day any more. I wish I could help you."

I exchanged glances with Evelyn and she nodded to me. Then I turned back to Chandri and leaned forward a little, elbows on my knees.

"It's alright, Mrs Prasad. You've already given us a lot. We'll continue our investigation with what you've given us. Thank you very much for your time."

Evelyn and I stood up to leave, but Mrs Prasad stopped us with her hands on our forearms. At first I thought she was going to ask us to find her son again, but...

"Wait, detectives! At least let me compensate you for your time and effort. Can I convince you to stay for lunch?"

And now I felt like I was some sort of fortune teller. I nudged Evelyn in the side and inclined my head to Mrs Prasad.

"Well we were a little interested in what exactly smelled so good from outside. I was just telling Evelyn here that it was making my belly grumble at me. Think we have some time for a quick bite?"

"Since you insist, Daniel. I was getting a little peckish anyway."

Lunch was probably some of the nicest Indian food I've ever had. And not like the generic curries they served in those dime-a-dozen places on Park Avenue South. This was authentic home cooking. Mutton tandoori with rice? I could've fallen asleep after that meal. We thanked Mrs Prasad for her generosity and kindness and left. After all, we had work to do.

The next stop on our to-do list was Connie's library, once again. Despite the help we'd gotten, consulting someone that was more in tune with history in general would do us better. I pulled my bike up in front of the Red Brick Library and killed the engine as Evelyn stepped off and got alongside me. We walked to the door and I gave it a firm knock, waiting to hear those familiar footsteps ambling up to greet us.