9 • Haunter

Haunter (verb) to come back to haunt

I contemplated the vampire staring into my eyes and the vow he'd made to keep me safe.

All my life, I'd been told I was a liability.

Without magick, I couldn't hope to survive off our property, especially not around Witches of Darkness. I'd been told it was too dangerous to take me on hunts because that meant one of my family members would be tasked with defending me, and it would make them weaker.

Even when I offered to learn other skills, like explosives or archery, I was laughed at.

But now, as much as he didn't want to admit it, Bastien needed me. He had to make himself weaker to protect me, because I was his food. He was also nicer to me whenever he thought I was afraid because my fear made it impossible for him to...eat.

I swallowed hard. Studying his deeply set ice blue eyes and wondering how I could use this to my advantage.

Think, Claire. Think.

Mama would tell me to stop being so emotional and to think logically. Well, if I set aside the fact that I was terrified of these witches, this was my chance to move through enemy territory under the crown's protection.

Unlike my family, I could spy on the dark witches, and there was nothing they could do about it, even if they caught me. It was a crime punishable by death to attack a vampire's sanguine partner, and Bastien had just pledged to keep me safe.

I would be foolish to pass up this opportunity to learn more. If the witches were practicing dark magick, they must have a relic hidden on the property.

I pressed my lips together and nodded. "Okay. Fine. I'll stay."

Bastien's thumb stroked across my cheek. His gaze thoughtful. "There's some measure of bravery in you." He released his hold on my chin, frowning. "Or maybe it's stubbornness."

An awkward beat passed between us. Neither of us moved. A gentle breeze blew the fine hairs around my face.

"Maybe it's both," I replied.

"Indeed."

The word slid out from behind his teeth.

With a stony expression, he offered me his arm, and with hesitance, I took it. Walking with halting steps toward the entrance of the inn.

My heart was a drum in my chest, beating out a too fast rhythm when we entered the inn. But I forced myself to pay attention to every little detail. Inside, it was warm, and smoke from the woodfire burned my eyes. Magicked lanterns hung above each of the wood trestle tables, overflowing with food, drink, and Bastien's staff.

I counted three red-haired women moving through the dining room, serving drinks and stew. Surely there were more lurking.

I caught one of the witches staring at me, and a bolt of fear lanced through my heart.