CHAPTER 2: THE FIRST DAY

The next day starts. Your alarm clock goes of.

Lorian pops out of the sleeping bag and starts looking around panicked.

He then goes to you.

"Hero! Wake up, something is going on! There are loud noises everywhere! We might be under attack!"

You yawn, then you stand up from your bed and press the button on your alarm clock to stop the beeping.

You look at Lorian, still adjusting to the modern world's morning routine.

"Don't worry, Lorian, that is just my alarm clock, its a device that wakes me up with a sound. We are not under attack, calm down."

Lorian looks confused.

"That thing... wakes you up? You don't have a bell tower around here that wakes everyone up around here?"

"Nope, no bell towers here.We rely on little gadgets to wake us up. They don't just make beeping sounds, that's just the base sound of the alarm clock. Look, I can use my phone to set an alarm, and I can select whatever sound I want."

"No bell towers? But then how do you know what time of day it is?"

"Well, we have these things called clocks, they are devices on which you can see the time. We even have a whole system of dividing the day into hours and minutes. Clocks are not just devices, they are everywhere, look, there is one on my phone."

You show him the clock on your phone. He looks amazed.

"So that glass slab you are carrying and some other things can tell you the time? That's... Ingenious! It keeps amazing me how your world substitutes magic! Alright, i'll keep in mind: Your world uses glass slabs that emit light that emit light instead of bell towers, understood!"

"Alright, the "Glass slab" is called a phone, also keep that in mind, will you?"

He nods.

"Oh, and about the noises from the alarm clock, its an everyday sound here. People use devices, machines and vehicles that can be noisy."

He nods again, confirming he understood it. Then you hear growling.

"Oh, yeah, um, hero? Do you have any food in your house? I skipped dinner yesterday to, well, you know what happened, so I have not eaten since yesterday morning."

"Not a problem, Lorian, come with me, we'll go to the kitchen and get some breakfast. Come with me."

 You both head downstairs to the kitchen. Lorian takes a seat and looks around the room.

"I'll tell you, your kitchen looks very abnormal."

"Well, things are different here, so what would you like to drink?"

"I will just have water."

You take a glass and go to the sink to get him water.

"But how are you going to get me anything to drink? I don't see any bottles, and-"

You turn on the tap and that silences him.

"What? Hero! you told me that there was no magic in this world! How are you getting that beam of water? Its so much, too. Are you not feeling a bit shameful for wasting all of that?"

You can't help but chuckle a bit.

"No Lorian, its not magic, its a faucet, you can get water from it when you turn it on, I just have to turn this knob and tada! That is the fastest way to get water in this world. And don't worry about wasting it, we have systems to clean and recycle water, its not as wasteful as you think it is."