Chapter 7

A few weeks had passed, Makoto visiting Haru as often as he could. He wanted to visit every day, but he had to keep the suspicion of his parents from rising. They usually talked about random stuff in general, shared stories, experiences, etc., and sometimes they just floated on their backs in a peaceful silence. Makoto found himself growing more and more attached to his dark-haired friend, and soon, just making eye contact was enough to make his heart skip a beat. He knew what was going on. He was falling in love with Haruka. Looking back on it, it became obvious that he had liked him from the start. He'd considered telling him, but he worried of his reaction. Maybe he didn't feel the same way, and he had put a dent in their friendship. Maybe he'd scare him away. Maybe Haru didn't even know what love was.

"Hey, Haru?" Makoto asked as the two laid on the shore of the beach.

"Hm?"

"What do you do when it gets to be winter?"

"I usually go back out to sea and sleep in a cave."

"Really?"

"Mhm."

"So.. it's getting to be winter and all.. the water is almost too cold for me to swim in, and soon you'll have to go back out to sea.."

"I don't want to go this year."

"B-But.. you'll freeze.."

"I don't want to be alone."

Makoto sighed sadly. "I know you don't. I don't want you to go either... but it's not like you'll be gone forever, you'll be back when the weather gets warmer, right? I want you to be safe, Haru." Haru sighed and stared up at the sky, deep in thought. A few minutes had passed before he spoke up.

"Promise me something."

"Sure, what's up?"

"As soon as it's warm again, you'll come here."

"Of course. You make it seem like you're leaving today.."

"I.. have to. I was going to tell you when you had to leave."

"Oh.." Makoto sat up and looked down at his friend. Haru looked up at him and sighed. His usually emotionless eyes gave way to a hint of sadness.

The two talked for a little while longer. When Makoto noticed it was getting late, his voice cracked mid sentence. "Makoto?"

"S-Sorry, it's just.. it's time for me to go home.." he whispered. Haru sighed.

"I'll only be gone for a little while," he reassured.

"B-But what if you get hurt like the time I found you and no one's there to help?"

"I won't let that happen, Makoto."

"Promise?" Makoto asked, holding up his pinky finger. Haruka tilted his head at the gesture. "Just do what I'm doing." Haru shrugged and held up his finger, and Makoto linked his with Haru's. "This is a pinky promise. It's kinda childish but.."

"I understand." In a swift movement, Haru hugged Makoto tightly. "I'll be back as soon as it's warm again."

"I'll hold you to that," Makoto chuckled. Haruka looked up at his tall friend and gave a hint of a smile, and then slid back into the ocean. Makoto watched him as he gracefully swam away. Haru turned back to look at him, and Makoto waved. "See you in the spring!" he called after his friend as he disappeared from sight.