Chapter 8

Almost two months had passed since Haru had to go back out to sea. It was hard, but Makoto knew he'd be back when it was warm. Thanksgiving and Christmas had passed, and it was approaching New Year's Eve. Makoto had been invited by Rei and Nagisa to attend a party down at the beach where he had found Haru. It'd be tough, but his friends really wanted him to go, so he'd deal with it. Meeting up with them when he arrived at the party, they chatted for a while and had food, when someone Makoto didn't know came up to them.

"Hey there, guys," the guy greeted.

"Hi!" Nagisa exclaimed. "Makoto, this is Rin. Rin, meet Makoto."

"Nice to meet you," Rin remarked and shook hands with Makoto.

"The pleasure is mine."

"Nagisa, Rei, I'm gonna have to borrow you two for a bit. Hope you don't mind."

"Alright! We'll be back, Mako-chan!" Nagisa called as the three left.

"Ah.. of course.." Makoto sighed and started walking down the beach. He found himself at the spot where he and Haru used to meet. He gazed bittersweetly out into the ocean. He heard the cheers of the people ring out off in the distance. He sighed and closed his eyes. "Happy New Years, Haru," he mumbled to himself. Suddenly, he heard splashing off in the distance and his eyes flicked open, scanning the water. Nothing. "Huh.." Then, a head surfaced from the water, their piercing blue eyes staring back at Makoto with disbelief. "H-Haru..?"

"Makoto..." Haru murmured.

"W..What are you doing here..?"

"There's always a celebration here.. I guessed you might attend. I didn't expect you to actually be here, though." Makoto ran over and scooped Haru out of the water. He was ice cold to the touch, and he looked thinner and pale.

"You're supposed to be hibernating or whatever you do..." Makoto mumbled. "You're freezing." Haru was slightly shivering.

"I got bored of that," Haru sighed. "It was dark and lonely."

"You're.. unbelievable. But I am happy to see you." Makoto chuckled and looked down at his fishy friend, who was resting comfortably in his arms, bridal-style, with his tail hanging over the side of Makoto's right arm. He was looking back up at Makoto, and when they both made eye contact, it was surprisingly Haru who looked away. Easier to tell with his skin so pale from the winter-chilled water, his cheeks were dusted with a light blush. "Haru? Are you alright? You're not catching a cold, are you?" He asked in that motherly tone of his.

"N-No.." Makoto held him closer to warm him up a little bit and looked up at the sky. "I just.. missed you, that's all.." Haru mumbled. Makoto focused his gaze back down on him and blushed.

"I missed you too, Haru." The tension between the two seemed to grow, and neither could quite shake the feeling of butterflies in their stomachs, or their chests tightening. Fireworks started to go off in the sky, their bright colors reflecting in the water. Makoto decided now was as good a time as any to tell Haru. "Hey, can I.. tell you something crazy?"

"Hm?"

"I-I.. I really.. really like you, Haru," Makoto confessed, his face growing redder and redder.

"Makoto..."

"Haaah... you probably don't feel the same.. just forget I said that, okay?"

"No, it's actually quite the opposite. I-I like you a lot too." Makoto stared at Haru, wide-eyed.

"R-Really?"

"Yes." The two smiled at each other, and before the both knew it, they were kissing. Haru had somewhat of an idea of what it meant from observing lots of couples on the beach, but he did know that he liked it.

"How about that to start of the new year?" Makoto chuckled when the two broke apart for a moment. Haru smiled and let out a laugh for the first time around Makoto. To be honest, he probably hadn't laughed in his entire life. "To a good year, and many more to come, yeah?" Makoto asked.

"Indeed."