Part 203

"So how did your performance go?"

Silver blinked their eyes and frowned. "Huh?"

Tails chuckled and rolled his eyes, "You know, at the wedding?"

It took a few seconds 'till Silver realised what Tails was talking about. "Oh yes," They chuckled awkwardly.

Silver hadn't acted like theirself that morning. They had been quiet and distracted all morning. They had been staring at the picture of their parents until they had to go. Silver even had to cry when Espio said it might not be a good idea to take the picture to school with them, because of their concentration and the possibility of losing it.

Espio felt worried, as Silver's eyes seemed absent. They were quiet and lost in thought. When anyone spoke to them, they reacted startled and seemed distracted.

"It was cool, it went okay, I guess," Silver said while shrugging their shoulders and turned back to their school book.

"It went okay," Shadow repeated sarcastically, "You did amazing!" He said proudly.

Silver shrugged their shoulders doubtfully. Tails frowned curiously as Silver stared at their book, not actually reading the words or even thinking about the matter. Espio carefully laid his hand on their lap without the other seeing. Silver didn't respond to this touch as their head rested in their hand, empty-minded.

_____

The whole day, Silver was rather quiet. They didn't want to eat anything during lunch. As Espio had a feeing he knew what kept their mind so busy, he let them be for now. Even though his horn was bugging him again, he expected Silver not to be in the mood to try and use their powers. Besides, he didn't know if it would even be safe to remove Silver's cuffs when they felt like this.

"How is Silver doing?" Shadow asked curiously when they were sitting in the library, trying to study geography while Silver was in drama class.

Espio sighed deeply, "I honestly wonder if finding that picture was a good thing," Espio said, troubled.

"Why wouldn't it be?" Shadow asked, confused. "Maybe this way we can find their actual parents."

Espio rubbed his temples, "I'm afraid Silver will get lost in the past. Of course I do hope we can find out more about their parents, but what if the truth is worse than what they've believed for years?" Shadow frowned, "What if we find out they aren't alive anymore, or what if they are still alive and just wanted to get rid of Silver?"

Shadow thought about it, "But why would someone do that?"

"I don't know, there could be so many reasons. But I'm afraid that what we find out won't be better for Silver. They were doing so well recently, sometimes it felt like their past never happened, but with that picture... It kinda slapped Silver in the face."

"Did you get any closer anyways?" Shadow asked curiously.

"Well I did find some fingerprints on the picture which aren't Silver's. But I didn't have the time last night to trace them. I will give it a try tonight. How did it all go with you and Lanolin?" Espio asked curiously. He felt sort of relieved that they could talk about this for the hour before Silver would return.

"We did find a few things, but not much. The research team did find some DNA samples in Silver's bedroom, so we will try to trace those. That jackal turned out to be not much of a talker," Shadow explained frustratedly.

Espio frowned, "So he isn't willing to help the police?"

"Lanolin doesn't think it's like that. It's more like he doesn't trust many people."