Chapter 6: Twelve Hours

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

A chill runs through the air as I anxiously bite my finger nails. Last year I made a resolution to stop biting my nails, but since the apocalypse started, that resolution went out the window.

It's been twelve hours. Twelve hours since George and Chip came back, and twelve hours since anyone has seen Chris or Erica. Everyone has assured me that they'll make it back soon and that they're strong enough to return unharmed. And I believe that. But I still can't help but worry.

It's currently 4:12 in the morning. I've been sitting by the front door, feeling like an idiot. I wanted to go out and look for them, but the boys convinced me to stay here. I argued for a little while, but once it got dark out, I knew fighting them was useless. But the more the hours pass by, the more I regret my decision of listening to them.

I hear footsteps walking my way and I turn my head to see Harry with a mug and a blanket in his hands. I sit up a little as he hands me the mug first. 

"It's tea," Harry says when he catches me looking inside the mug.

"Thank you," I say. I welcome the warmth that radiates from the drink before taking a sip. "What are you still doing up?"

"I figured you could use some company," He smiles as he sits down next to me, loosely placing the blanket over both of us. My heart warms at the gesture.

"How are you doing?" He asks once we're comfortable.

I shrug, "I honestly don't know how I'm feeling anymore. I think I worried so much earlier that I'm kind of numb now."

"Kyleigh, you know them. They're fine. They're probably hiding out somewhere in this very moment, completely safe, and Erica is making fun of Chris' height as Chris insists that he's taller than her," Harry says.

I let out a small laugh, and I can see the relief on Harry's face.

"You're probably right. I just wish they were here right now so I would know for sure. It's hard to not let my mind wander," I say, taking another sip from the mug.

"I think I know how I can distract you," Harry says and I can see his brain thinking.

"Oh no," I jokingly groan, "Are you about to do Fun Facts with Harry?"

Harry smiles, "You know me so well. Okay, let's see. Did you know...that the last letter added to the alphabet was J?"

"What? There's no way," I say.

"I swear. Look it up," Harry insists as he holds up his hands.

I give him a look and he laugh as he realizes what he said, "Okay, you can't look it up. But I promise it's true."

"That's so random. How did it get thrown in the middle of the alphabet?"

"Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. But I can tell you that whoever came up with 'LMNOP' is a certified genius."

"I fully agree," I nod, "What else do you have?"

Harry thinks for a second before saying, "Did you know that sunsets on Mars are blue?"

I raise my eyebrows, "Really?"

"Yup. The sky appears red during the day and blue during night."

"That sounds so pretty," I say, "Do you think humans would have eventually traveled to Mars if all of this didn't happen?"

Stay the Night - Harry Lewis & Chris DixonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara