Chapter 14: Be Quiet

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-Kyleigh's POV-

I open my eyes, seeing nothing but a dark room. It takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust, but once they do, I turn onto my side and see Arthur sleeping next to me. It must be the middle of the night. I pull my blanket up higher, feeling a cold draft in the room. Once I'm comfortable, I shut my eyes and try to fall back asleep.

I'm on the brink of sleep when suddenly I hear a noise, followed quickly by a shushing noise. My eyes fly open and I sit up. It must be Erica, but I don't know who she would be talking to. I hear more shuffling, which is when I decide to stand up. Something feels off.

I creep toward the door, trying to be as quiet as I can. I peak around the corner, my heart dropping to my stomach when I don't see Erica. Instead, I see two men entering our base. I immediately take notice of the two large guns in their hands, and I feel like I could be sick.

A thought crosses my mind as my eyes search the room.

Where the fuck is Erica? She's supposed to be on watch.

I turn back into the room and run over to Arthur. I shake him awake, but I keep my hand pressed to his mouth so he doesn't make a sound. He wakes up, clearly alarmed, and I put my finger to my lips to tell him to be quiet.

"There's two men outside," I mouth.

Arthur's eyebrows furrow, and I finally move my hand.

"What do you mean?" He whispers back.

"I mean, there's two men in our base with two giant ass guns," I explain.

"Oh shit," Arthur says quietly, "We need to wake everyone."

I nod in agreement and pick my knife up from my sleeping bag. Arthur does the same, and we creep toward the door. The men have moved to the farthest part of the room and are looking through boxes and shoving things they find into a bag.

Arthur and I take the opportunity to run into the next room over, where we find George sleeping by himself. Arthur wakes him up the same way I woke him up, and he explains the situation.

"Where's Chris?" I silently ask. I thought the two of them were sharing a room last night.

George's hand goes to the back of his neck as he mouths back, "Next room over I think."

The three of us then make our move to the last room on this side of the store. We walk in and I'm shocked to see Chris and Erica in the room, both sleeping. A million thoughts cross my mind, but none that can be answered right now.

I wake up Chris as Arthur wakes up Erica. We tell them what's happening, and Erica's face falls.

"What should we do?" I ask.

"You said they have weapons?" Chris says.

I nod and he sighs, "Well, they're outnumbered and we also have a gun. They should know they're overpowered."

"Where is the gun?" I ask, not remembering where I last saw it.

Everyone is quiet until Erica mutters a curse word as she drops her head into her hands.

"It's out there. The gun is out there," She says.

"Out there as in where the men are literally standing out there?" George clarifies.

"Yes," Erica says, "I left it with the medical supplies."

"Erica, please tell me you're kidding," I say.

She doesn't. Instead she says, "I fucked up."

"Maybe they haven't found our stuff yet," Arthur suggests.

I shake my head, "I saw them carrying our bag. I just didn't realize it was ours."

"Fuck," Chris says, running a hand over his face.

Erica nervously bites the nail on her thumb as the group fails to come up with a plan.

There's louder shuffling outside the room causing my entire body to tense. I motion for everyone to stay where they are as I walk to the door. I look around the corner, using the shadows to my advantage. I see the men enter the room Arthur and I were sleeping in with their guns securely in their hands, and my heart rate instantly accelerates.

I'm about to turn around and warn everyone when there's a loud echo of a can hitting the wall. I whip around and see Erica accidentally tripped over a can, causing it to smack into the wall.

The sound of footsteps echoes through the building as the two men realize we're awake. Chris pushes past me and through the door as the two men make their escape.

"HEY," Chris loudly yells, "WAIT."

But it's too late. They're already out the door, with all of our supplies and our only gun. The tension builds in the room as Chris turns around with a look on his face I have never seen before.

I guess luck isn't going to be on our side anytime soon.