Chapter 5

Usually, it was just Brax and I sitting across from each other for dinner most nights, so it was nice to have the 16-seater dining table full of chatter and life for a change. If the King was hosting someone, it was typically a full-blown affair with balls and pageantry, so it was even nicer to have guests without all the bullshit.  But what was even nicer than that was that the male sitting across from me tonight, telling me about his childhood, was extremely handsome and charming.

"So even after your mother told you not to go into the lake, you ran straight in." I hadn't stopped smiling since I sat down to eat.

"Clothes and all. Just ran straight in." We both laughed.

"What did your mother do?" I asked, though fits of giggles.

"She marched right into the lake and pulled me out by my hair. She didn't even hesitate to absolutely eviscerate me in front of my father's entire security."

"She sounds like a force of a woman."

"She was. She didn't let me get away with anything." He gave me a sad smile. He, too, knew what it was like to lose his mother at a young age. I reached over and placed my hand on his, letting him know I understood. 

"So Fraser, I was in the Valley a few months back, where exactly do you and your father run operations from?" Brax interrupted us.

The two men fell into an easy conversation about the comings and goings of trade in The Valley, while I listened politely. The staff flitted around the table, refilling wine and replacing empty plates of food.

"Thanks, Jason," I said quietly as the young male spooned some beans onto my plate. He smiled and moved down the table to the next person. I looked up from my plate to resume my silent part in the conversation with Fraser and my brother to find Brax babbling on and Fraser distracted, staring at Jason.

I looked between the two men, trying to understand what must have irritated Fraser so. 

"Don't worry, Fraser, my sister has a habit of making friends with the help." Brax announced.

I glared at my brother, who now had alerted the rest of the table.

"You can't blame the child Brax, your sister is a beauty," Fraser laughed off my brother, and I was grateful for him trying to ease the tension, until he added. "Although, he could attempt to control himself around ladies out of his standing."

Jason looked like he would rather be facing down all the King's armies, and I shrunk at the comment. Brax broke the silence with an obnoxious laugh, clapping Fraser on the back, until the rest of the table joined in. The comment was completely uncalled-for, but it wasn't like I was going to say anything and Fraser didn't know that I had known Jason my whole life, the male would rather Fraser's company over mine in the bedroom.

I'm sure that Fraser was just being protective, and I'd apologise to Jason later.

The rest of dinner, I listened to the surrounding men discussing politics. I was becoming increasingly interested in what it would be like to live in the Valley and finally have a life outside the castle walls.

Before dinner, I had tried on the gown I would be wed in tomorrow. Considering the seamstresses had next to no time to design and make it, I was impressed with the floor length dress with a beaded neck line and lace sleeves. It was probably a little conservative for my tastes, but I guess that was traditional for a wedding.

I found it a little weird that the King still hadn't announced the wedding to the Kingdom yet, but I figured he had some grand plan and was happy to leave him to it.

Was I still incredibly nervous about tomorrow? Absolutely.
Did I feel like I might throw myself off a balcony to escape this fate? Not as much as last week.