Walk on Fire

There's no thoughts, and no words to describe how empty I feel right now. I just watched a man fall to his death and I didn't feel a thing. I look up at the sky feeling the rain and wind bear down on me. My hair is now completely wet and some strands are sticking to my face before I tuck them behind my ears. I don't spare another glance at Riorson and nudge Violet, trying to signal her to keep moving but it's like she's frozen with fear.

"I'll wait for you on the other side," Rhiannon says with her eyes clouded with fear. She's the first friend I've made in awhile and If she falls i'm stuck with Violet and Dain. Oh I hope she doesn't fall. 

"I'll see you on the other side," Vi tells her back. I just nod at her, I don't really like talking that much since most of my feelings are written on my face. Rhiannon steps onto the parapet and begins waddling her way across, and I watch as her figure slowly becomes farther and farther. 

"Name?" The rider at the edge asks while someone else holds a cloak over him, mostly to keep the paper dry i'm assuming. 

"Violet Sorrengail," she says the name with so much ease it makes me feel almost proud to be a Sorrengail—almost. 

"Sorrengail?" The rider says in surprise. "As in General Sorrengail?" 

"The same," The corner of my mouth tips up at her tone and I force myself to look bored. There really isn't any other person with the last name Sorrengail so either this guy is really stupid or he's just dense. By the looks of it he's probably both. 

"Name?" The guy repeats but this time his question is directed at me.

"Maiven Sorrengail," My voice is laced with annoyance. 

"Holy shit, there's two of them?" The other rider asks—the one holding the cloak.

"We get that a lot," Violet says with her hands gripping the sides of the turret. I watch her chest heaven with each breath and naturally I allow mine to do the same. 

"And you think you'll be able to ride?" The candidate behind us says and I assume it's the snickering one from earlier. "Some Sorrengail, with that kind of balance. I pity whatever wing you end up in." 

"I could say the same for you," I tell him without looking behind me. He just huffs before the guy holding the paper interrupts us.

"Name?" 

"Jack barlowe," the snickering guys says. "Remember that name. I'm going to be wing leader one day." 

"Yeah, maybe if you keep your mouth shut." I mumble under my breath. 

"You'd better get going, Sorrengail," Riorson tells Violet. She looks back but she really should keep moving. 

"Unless you need a little motivation?" Jack lunges for her but I put myself between them and whip my head back just in time to see her move. A few seconds past and I just see her breathing in and out through the rain. She's standing still on the parapet and starts mumbling under her breath, what is she doing? I keep staring at her until she finally starts moving. I grip the edge of the turret and put one foot against the parapet, retract, put the other, retract again. I'm testing how slippery it is, i'll have to move quickly. I step onto the parapet and start moving step and after step. My heart is in my head and I try to focus on how cold and wet it is. I watch Violet move and copy her. Right foot. Left. Step. Again. I can see the little painted line and I watch as she moves past it. A gust of wind hits and I watch with worry as she falls to the parapet while holding the sides of it. 

"VIOLET!" I yell out to her and try to move against the wind that barging into me. I make it a solid  four steps before she gets back up and starts moving. I let out a breath of relief and continue going slow. I keep my eyes on her just in case as I keep moving. One foot over the other and i've passed the middle. This continues for minutes until Violet stumbles again. I speed up until i'm a few steps behind her.