Deaths First Visit

Nine days later

The first thing I feel is the wind. Pushing me, taunting me to fall. I'm back on the parapet. Breathe in. And out. In. Out. I watch my foot as it steps onto the thin stone line beneath me. Arms flung out, and legs straight. It's raining so heavily I can feel the drops searing my body and leaving their mark. Another step. Another. Left. Right. Left. Right. Fall. Left. Right. Drop. Left. Fall. Right. Drop. Fall. Drop. 

"Venny! Wait for me!" I turn around slowly and choke on a sob. In. Out. Left. Right. 

"Brennan? What are you..." I clear my throat. "What are you doing here?" I whisper. My face is wet with tears and the rain. 

"What do you mean? We're about to become a riders, little venny." He exclaims while walking smoothly towards me. 

"A rider? Brennan? You can't..." I take a step towards him. Left. 

"What?" He laughs, showing me that crooked grin. He wobbles on the stone. 

"Careful!" Right. Left. My hand grips his forearm. So real. It's so real. 

"Is this real?" 

He chuckles again. "What? Of course this is." 

I look up at him. "I've missed you." My hand trails up to his face and I can feel everything, the warmth, and the small hairs poking out from his jaw. I look into his eyes and try to memorize all the different shades of brown. 

Suddenly a gust of wind comes and pushes him down, he slams into the floor and tries to grip them— but they're too wet. I scurry to the beam, crouching low and throw out my hand. His hand has a firm clasp on mine but it's slipping and he's still in the air.

"No! Please! Hold on!" My arms aching and I don't know how much longer this can go on. The wind pushes harder, Brennan flings out his other hand to grab my forearm. So real. It's so real. It is real. 

"I don't want to die. Please. Come with me." He cries over the wind and rain. 

"Brennan." I shake my head, tears spilling out my eyes. "Please. Just— just hang on!" 

"Come with me. I don't want to be alone." I look behind him and all I see is darkness. 

"I'll never leave you! Please!" 

"I don't want to be alone." He repeats. 

"I'll come with, Bren. I swear. I won't leave you." 

"Please." He tugs on my hand causing my stomach to scrape against the stones. I close my eyes as another cry leaves my mouth. In. Out. In. Out. Fall. Out. Drop. Out. Drop. Fall. Out. I open my eyes. 

"I'm sorry." I let go. Then I close my eyes again and fall with him. 

"Maiven!" I open my eyes. Sucking in a deep breath my hand whips for my knife. "Woah, calm down. I just tripped." Violet says as she stumbles through the high stalks of grass. 

"Try to be more quiet, we don't know who's out here." I whisper. Violet was already awake when I woke up and I couldn't just let her go risk her life without me — so here we are. I've been having dreams about Brennan everyday since I started reading the book Mira gave us, Brennans book. Most of the time Violets awake but when she isn't I come out here by myself. Usually running laps or just looking at the sky— most of the time i'm training. Thinking of him and how to be like him.