New Beginnings

"Not today," Violet says. He walks over to her and leans in. I step closer to Violet incase he tried anything but he just scoffs and walks off to where everyone else is celebrating. I look out to study everyone and by the amount of people wearing leathers im assuming the second and third years are here too. The rain eases and comes to a drizzle— seems like it was only a storm when me and Vi were on the parapet. I scoff under my breath. I notice Violet starts to tremble and I grab onto her arm. 

"I think you made an enemy there." The redhead says. 

"You think?" I say sarcastically. She rolls her eyes at my words and glances up at us, assessing us. 

"I'd watch your back with that one if I were you." 

Violet nods but I just keep my eyes on Violet. I notice her knee is hurt, probably because of the fall from earlier. She's keeping most of her body weight on her other side but it's still not good to be standing on that knee. Someone grabs onto my right shoulder and Violets left shoulder and spins is around. I grab the hand on my shoulder ready to twist it but then I realize it's just Rhiannon. I let out a sigh and squeeze her hand. 

"We made it!" She exclaims. 

"We made it," Vi repeats with a grimace—i'm sure she thinks it's a smile. 

Rhiannon turns to me," I can't thank you enough. There were at least three times I would have fallen off if you hadn't helped me." She turns back to Vi. "You were right—those soles were slick as shit. Have you seen the people here? I swear I just saw a second year with pink streaks in her hair, and one guy has dragon scales tattooed up his entire biceps." 

"Conformity is for the infantry," Violet says. Rhiannon loops her arm through one of Violets as I do the same with the other. She slumps into Rhiannon and limps. It's worse than I thought.

"That's crazy. Tattooed up his entire bicep?" Surprise takes over my voice.

"Yep, I was shocked." Rhiannon says with confirmation. "Speaking of which, we need to trade boots. There's a bench—" 

A guy comes towards us and smacks into Violet. I'm about to push him off her when he speaks. 

"Violet?" He looks at me. "Maiven?" Gods, no. It's Mr. Charming. "What the hell are you two doing here?" 

"A hello would be nice," I inform him. 

"Dain. It's nice to see you." Vi says. Jesus she's turning green.

She falls into his chest. Are. You. Kidding. Me. This is fantastic. "Damn it, Violet." He has one hand on her back and the other under her elbow. I use this opportunity to study him. He looks a tad taller, and his eyes look dimmer. He definitely has a beard that covers his jaw. He looks older. He guides us away from the crowd and into a dark corner with a wooden bench. He helps take off her rucksack and sits her down. I shimmy out of mine and sit down as well. My thighs are burning right now but I focus on Violet. She needs wrappings for her knee so I open my pack and start shoving stuff aside to find the bandages. 

"I'm going to be sick." She says, she even sounds sick. 

"Head between your knees," I freeze. His harsh tone is swimming with command. "It's the adrenaline. Give it a minute and it'll pass." I hear footsteps and I look up to see Rhiannon. I smile warmly at her—the best smile I can bring to my face. "Who the hell are you?" 

"She's a friend, Dain." I can't help but have a little bite to my tone. 

"I'm Rhiannon, a friend." I move my hands to my left boot and start unlacing.