Chapter 2: Fate

Miles

"So are you like a cow or a Dalmatian?"

The cow-Dalmatian man fumbled around the small shop that he had wrecked over some ATM, before straightening himself out. He took on what I assumed was supposed to be some sort of regal stance and left room for a dramatic pause.

"I am... The Spot."

Pfft! The what?

I let out a breathy laugh as I casually bit into my beef patty. He was just another super-powered thug, hoping to get into the big leagues. The guy probably saw this moment as his ticket.

"We meet again Spider-man," he tried to make his voice sound menacing as a few stray slices of bread toppled through one of the strange gaps in his abdomen. My laughter instantly intensified at the freakish sight.

"Oh, that's funny to you?" he spat.

"Of course not," I placed my hands up in surrender, "No." My head tilted to the side in amusement, "So, is that a costume?"

"Unfortunately for both of us, this is skin."

I gulped, "Oh, dang." I stared for a few seconds, but I wasn't really sure where to let my eyes settle. I mean, the guy doesn't have a face.

"So..." I casually pointed, waving my finger lazily at the outline of his face, "Do I just like look at your hole or... you know what forget I said that. That sounds all kinds of weird."

His hands clenched into fists as he stared me down, "You see, I'm from your past. One year ago-"

My phone chimed in my suit pocket and I instinctively unsheathed it. "Hold up." I held a finger up to the cow-dalmatian man.

"Oh, come on!"

I resisted the urge to laugh at his whiney, distraught voice and checked my message from Dad.

Crap, I'm gonna be late.

"Uh oh. Well, this has been fun."

"-Who you talking to?"

"But I really gotta wrap this up."

I fixed my mask in place firing a web at his chest, which began a chain reaction of Spot- portalling things every which way and to a long annoying wild goose chase of this guy. He was sending my own punches back at me, hurling random objects through the air.

"I have somewhere to be man, can we, reschedule?" I called, swiftly evading his attacks.

"This is our destiny! You cannot postpone the inevitable!" The guy huffed, "I am not some cheap date, that you can write off."

I paused for a second to tilt my head like a confused dog would, "Dang man, who hurt you?"

The villain only snarled as he reared back his arm, a huge portal forming in that area. My Spider-sense screamed at me as a billboard emerged from the gap in space, sailing down to the street below. I hastily leaped up and out of the way of the projectile and rapidly fired a burst of webbing. To hold it in place, hovering over the petrified, pedestrians. I landed gently on the top of the metal structure and eyed the image it portrayed.