Chapter 4: For the Last Time

Gwen

I'm such an idiot.

I'm such a selfish idiot.

They told me not to, but I didn't listen. What's wrong with me? Jess, was right. I only hurt him. It took everything for me to keep my composure as his smile crumbled before me; before his eyes glazed over with a guarded expression.

Still, after all that, he suggested I come to his parent's rooftop party. He looked at me with a wobbly smile that didn't reach his eyes, a smile that would haunt me because I knew I had caused that. I caused him this pain, but what else could I do?

I should have just stayed focused on my mission. Instead I let my own emotions get in the way.

Never again

"Oh wow, feelings make me hungry," I joked trying to break the deafening silence between us as I shoveled food into my mouth in a way that I must admit was probably very unattractive.

I wasn't sure if the sound that came from Miles was a laugh or a scoff.

"Oh yeah," he agreed with a wave of his hand, "These plátanos are just deep-fried feelings."

I had to keep myself from frowning at the hollowness in his voice. I had to leave. My presence was doing more harm than good and to top that off, the Spot was still on the move. All the while I stood here with Miles on a water tower, shooting the breeze. Jess would be disappointed.

But... Just ten more minutes.

"So, how does it work?" Miles muttered, "You traveling dimensions? I would have thought discovering would take years and... massive knowledge in quantum physics." His eyes dropped to the floor before flicking back up to meet mine, a tentative expression on his face.

"I don't really know all the specifics. I just know that Miguel is from the year 2099 so their technology is super advanced. That's where the whole Society is. He made these watches," I slip off my Gizmo and hand it to him.

The boy turned it over in his palm, his eyes flooded with concentration and... disappointment? "This is what keeps you from glitching in other dimensions?"

"Yeah, pretty cool."

His fiddling finally stilled and he rested the watch in both hands staring solemnly out into the skyline, the pretty blue skyline that seemed to outshine the colors of the sky in my universe even in all its vibrance. "What's it gonna take for Miguel O'hara to notice Miles Morales?" he asked.

I wasn't sure if that was a question I was supposed to answer. If it was, I wouldn't know how to, because Miguel definitely had noticed him. The futuristic spider had noticed him before me. He just didn't like what he saw. None of that was Miles's fault though. It was just him being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I chuckled, but it sounded nervous and uneasy, "I'll put in a good word."

"I'm just saying, if I had a watch, I could go with you," he prods.

Sighing, I loll my head back. Did we have to have another conversation like this? Couldn't we go back to the lighthearted banter of before? "Miles, look-"