Chapter 3: Shattered

Miles

I created the Spot.

He was my fault... and now he was gone.

He disappeared into a portal- well kicked himself through a portal- and now he was gone. That was good, right?

And... shoot! The cakes got messed up on the swing here. Couldn't one thing go right?

"You're grounded!"

"What?"

"Oh yeah!"

I guess not.

"For how long?" I grimaced.

"A month!" Dad called back with enthusiasm. He almost seemed to be enjoying this.

"Dad. Mom, are you— Seriously!"

"Yeah," Dad responded with a stern look, "Dead serious!"

"You don't understand," I pleaded. I gazed down at the floor, unable to meet their cold, disappointed gazes. They couldn't understand. They'd kill me if they knew, then ground my undead spirit for ten years.

"You're right!" Dad exclaimed, "You. Are. Right! I have no idea what's going on with you! So, why don't you tell me?!"

The blasting music increased in volume and I felt my burning tempter rise with it. "Just listen to me!" I cried. They won't listen. They never listen!

"Okay, champ, you got it. Go for it," Dad held his arms up in mock surrender, "Say whatever you want to say." He was belittling me with every word. "What do you got to tell me so bad!"

I met his gaze and felt the flame of anger that once burned, extinguish in a heartbeat, to be replaced with disappointment and despondency.

His eyes were hard, glazed over with anger and frustration. Peering around at all the people around us, I could easily notice the eyes on me, as well as the people who tried to hide their stares. Shame blanketed my frustration and smothered what was left of that flame. It was then I realized, I couldn't be good enough. I had so many high expectations: as a son, as a student; and as a hero; and I've met none of them. Not even one. I'd failed Pete; I'd failed my parents; and I'd failed myself.

Dad didn't care to know. He didn't care that I was hurting. I was just his out-of-control, reckless, miserable excuse for a son. Any resentment I had toward my parents at this moment shed from me like the skin of a lizard.

Maybe it was my fault. Pete had done it. He'd balanced life with hero activities. He had bumps in the road, but he made it work in the end. He never let anyone down.

Because Peter Parker was Spider-Man. He was the Amazing Spider-Man. He was the best there was. And me, well... I was just the universe's backup plan.

I let out a breath, I wasn't even aware that I held as I looked back at my dad, forcing my expression to remain passive. "You know what?" I forced a tight-lipped smile, "Never mind."

I slipped past the two with my head down and threw my hood up to keep myself from seeing the gazes that I could feel on my back. I just couldn't be there anymore.