49

"All matter is energy... all matter IS energy... all MATTER is energy... all matter is ENERGYYYY" I mutter this mantra under my breath, hyping myself up to try something I've never done before.

I stare intently at the little salt shaker on the kitchen island of the Oslo apartment. Closing my eyes, I try to visualize the solid matter of that salt shaker as a loose collection of particles bound by energetic chains in a grid formation. I visualize each particle itself as a collection of protons and neutrons, circled by electrons, as far away from each other as the earth to the moon, relative in size, nothing but energy holding it together.

If I could just connect to that energy, and use it for myself, theoretically I could affect inanimate objects without a need for physical touch. Telekinesis is pretty rare in this world, and I've always wondered why that is, considering what we know about the structure of matter, and taking into account the many ways we humans manipulate energy already.

Spots are appearing on the back of my eyelids, so I try to relax, and breathe deeply, letting my eyeballs sink downward. My phone rings, and my concentration is broken. I sigh heavily, puffing my cheeks out with air, before punching the answer button on my phone.

"Ja!" I answer, massaging my temples. I'm expecting a call from my driver, so I don't bother to check who is calling.

"Did I catch you at a bad time?" The Overlord's politely mild voice echoes around the kitchen.

"Oh! Hi! Ha ha... just wrestling with... physics" I explain lamely. "Have you heard from Stahri?" I then ask. "I don't think he has this number, and I don't have his number memorized."

The Overlord clears his throat. "Uh... no, but that's not uncommon for him. His work is quite demanding, and with the time difference..." it sounds like he is shrugging.

"Oh, well..." I say dismissively. "I guess he'll figure it out. So, what can I do for you?"

"I was hoping we could have lunch?" The Overlord requests.

"Today?" I ask in surprise.

"Do you have something else planned?" His voice is amused.

"I'm taking Jen hiking, I was just waiting for the car service to get here" I confess awkwardly.

"Hmm" the Overlord sounds contemplative.

"Dinner tonight, instead?" I propose.

"Are you sure you don't want to call Jen to reschedule your hike?" He queries.

"Uh... hmm... no?" I answer hesitantly.

"Really?" He sounds incredulous.

"We've been planning this for awhile..." I start to explain, until I suddenly remember the foreign energy that I had such a difficult time getting off, sticky like honey. "You CHARMED me" I groan the accusation. "I didn't realize you had done it on purpose! I thought it was a side effect."

His mischievous chuckle surprises me. "My, but you are a fast learner" he tells me, his voice rich with sardonic amusement.

"You didn't expect me to break the charm" I put forward a guess.

"Not this quickly, no, but you have a habit of surpassing my expectations" he replies.

I preen a little over the compliment, but change the topic. "Do you REALLY need to see me for lunch? Or can it wait?" I ask.

"I suppose it can wait until dinner" he replies graciously "But I prefer lunch!"

"Come hiking with us! We will roast sausages over a bonfire. It doesn't get more casual than that" I invite him.