Chapter 4: A New Life

Alexis grew very close to her three new acquaintances in the weeks that would ensue. Phoebus took her under his wing with sword training after the new recruit persisted in badgering him (during skillset trials, it became clear that Alexis had a way with spears and thus Gerald, the Red House spear trainer, limited her daily sword handling to that 'appropriate' for a subordinate skill); Aurelia was officially Alexis' personal encyclopedia concerning all things Euangelion; and Rufus, well Rufus was just fun to be around - he also scored points for being American. 

Fun and games may have been a huge perk but it was by no means the main objective in the castle. After all, they were all being prepared for something otherworldly; a battle of good and evil - a war of wars. The physical training Alexis was subjected to on Sanctum may have been intense but it was also exciting. It was impossible to die due to the Island's regenerative properties; but this also meant that the trainers could simulate and train recruits through real-life combat scenarios, which at times turned very brutal. And although you couldn't die, you most certainly felt like you could after being struck, cut, or pierced right. It is for this reason the simulations were designed to make you tough, resilient, and exceptionally quick on your feet.

Euangelion Theory was also extremely important. Two months and several lectures later, Alexis had learned all about the benevolent King Dominus, the valiant Prince Salvatore, the Rider's Rebellion, the evil Diabolus, his repugnant curse on humanity, and the purpose behind rehabilitating the human recruits - each of whom fell under the protective care and watchful eye of Lord Castus, the Keeper of the Isle of Sanctum. She finally started to understand the things that a heart hardened to the magical Kingdom of Euangelion just could not comprehend. Her time on the Island had begun to counteract Diabolus's cursed infection which once ruled her cynical outlook on life. Alexis had never been more alive, but she still had much more to learn.

(A Bonus Chapter which should be read at this point can be accessed after Chapter 14)

One late afternoon, Alexis and Phoebus were training in the valley underneath the castle bridge.

"You're going easy on me," Alexis grew in frustration.

"I am not." Phoebus blocked all of her blows without jabbing back.

"Hit me back!"

All of a sudden Phoebus tripped Alexis and knocked her sword out of her hand.

"The element of surprise is far more effective than blunt force. You save your energy while tiring out your opponent," he educated her while holding his sword to her throat. Alexis slapped the sword away and cut her hand.

"I'm starting to understand the practicality of wearing red," she wiped her bloody hand on her robe and observed how the scar slowly healed until it closed up completely.

"Aren't you hungry yet? I'm starving," her sparring partner longingly stared in the direction of the Great Hall's perceived location.

"The siren won't go off for another three hours."

"But there's always bread baskets stacked out between lunch and supper."

"One more round. Come on!" Alexis resumed her fighting stance after picking up her sword. Phoebus effortlessly knocked the sword out of her hand.

"That doesn't count," she denounced his swiftness of hand.

"Come on Alex. We can pick it up again tomorrow," Phoebus dragged her up the valley toward the nearest flight of steps carved out of the mountain's rocky surface.

"I don't understand how you're always hungry. It's like you have a black hole for a stomach."

"Speak for yourself. I've never met any girl who can eat as much as you. In fact, I would bet my sword hand you can outeat a considerable number of guys in my House."