Roberts check up [8]

"Can you come play?" The soft voice of Silas called out. It had been a few hours since the school bunch came back home, and not too long ago Carlisle had also returned home from work and played a few rounds of snakes and ladders with the lot before him having to finish up some paperwork in his office.
Silas obviously missing him Robert in his arms, Esme managing to get Bernie off him before he left ready to clean the bear.

"I can join in a little while if you'd like," Carlisle offered, looking up at the small boy standing at his office door. Silas hadn't realized that Carlisle had left until a few games had gone by without him. Emmett, managed to capturing Silas's attention and had quickly become a favorite of the seven-year-old, making it take some time for Silas to realize that someone was missing.

"Yes please. What are you doing?" Silas asked walking around the desk to stand next to Carlisles chair, trying to see what he was doing. The little boy determined to spend time with him.
"I'm writing some reports for the hospital" Carlisle said smiling down at Silas who was up on his tiptoes to see on to the desk.
"Hospital, you are a doctor" Silas said, this being the only thing he remembered about the older man. Him turning his small body to face the older male still sat on his chair.

"Yes I am"the older said smiling at the boys statement.
"You make people feel better" Silas said wanting to sound smart by knowing what a doctor was and to impress him.
"I do"
"Woah" Silas said, wondering how many people he had saved.

"Can you help Robert?" Silas asked holding the bunny toy up in his arms to reach Carlisle.
"And what is wrong with Robert?" Carlisle said in a formal voice to play with Silas.
"He's not feeling well" Silas explained simply bringing Robert to face him looking down into his rabbit teddy's eyes, a small frown pulling his lips down.
"Oh is he not?, come on we can do a check up on him" Carlisle offered wanting to cheer the boy up.
"Yes we can, then he'll be all better"Silas said wanting to spend time with Carlisle and Robert.

"Let me get my kit then and we can check on him" Carlisle said standing up from his chair, Silas standing back to give the man some space.
"Yes, i'll wait here then we can help him together" Silas demanded, needing to have Robert be ok. He didn't want a sick teddy bear. Carlisle was quick to go over to one of his cabinets to grab some of his supplies before getting back to his seat and turning to Silas and the sick patient.

"Here come up and we can examine over Robert" Carlisle said his arms open to pick the small boy up.
"Okay"Silas said coming closer to Carlisle before having the adult pick him up and place him on his lap. Silas getting comfy in the new hold.
"Now where's the patient?"carlisle asked looking down at Silas.

"Here" Silas said stretching Robert out in his arms, him being happy that Robert is getting seen to.
"Now we first must find out what is wrong with our patient, so why don't you ask him?"carlisle said wanting to teach Silas how the process worked, also to include the boy in the check up.
"Hello Robert, what is wrong with you?"
Carlisle chuckled at Silas' bluntness in his question. Also smiling when Silas brought Robert up to his ear as if the rabbit toy was whispering to him.
"Mmmhhmmm, yep, okay" Silas mumbled pretending to listen to Robert, also nodding his head, "He's feeling unwell" Silas said summing up what Robert had told him.

"Alright then, Robert are you alright to have a seat on the table please" Carlisle said going along with Silas and acting as if Robert could talk.
Silas brought Robert up to his ears to listen to his friend's response.
"He said ok" the boy quickly responded before sitting Robert down sat against some books that were stacked up. Carlisle smiled at Silas' care for his new toy and pulled out his stethoscope from his at home kit.

"Thank you Robert, now we need to check your heart rate" Carlisle said pulling a stethoscope out from his little bag and putting it on.
"Mmm, it's all sounding good, would you like to check dr Silas?" Carlisle asked
"Yes, I want to hear, I want to hear" Silas chanted excitement coursing through his veins. Carlisle smiled before placing the of the stethoscope on Silas' ears keeping the end pressed against Robert's stuffed body. Silas smiling all the while.
"Yes, you're alive Robert" Silas said after a few seconds of listening to nothing and nodding his head.
"Would you like to hear your heart beat Silas" Carlisle offered, knowing that it would peak the seven year olds interest.

"Really, yes please" Silas said nodding, his eyes widening with stars forming in them. Carlisle smiled at Silas' excitement before moving the end of the stethoscope on top of Silas' heart. The small boys eyes widening as he heard thumping.

"That my heart?" Silas asked his smile widening at the idea of hearing his own heart.
"Yep, you're alive" Carlisle said mimicking what Silas told Robert. Only for silas' eyes to widen even more before quickly grabbing Robert and excitedly telling the rabbit.
"I'm alive Robert, I'm alive" he giggled out smiling brighter than anyone would thinks possible. Carlisle smiling at Silas' cuteness.

"Silas I think we might need to take the patients temperature".

"Then we'll know if he's sick or not" Silas answered understanding slightly what his temperature would mean.

"Yes, now can I have my stethoscope back please?" Carlisle asked holding one of his hands out.
Silas slightly shrunk into himself not wanting to give the equipment back. He liked hearing his heartbeat. His mind contemplating giving it back or not.

Seeing the small boys reaction Carlisle spoke up,
"You can listen for a few more minutes if you'd like Silas" he offered not liking how conflicted the boy looked.
"Thank you" Silas quietly spoke, him finding the thumping of his heart soothing. So soothing that his eyes slowly began drooping. Carlisle smiling as he saw this. Silas being soothed to sleep by his own heartbeat.
"Silas, I think the patient might need a hug" Carlisle said knowing that the 7 year old was tired and that it was quite late for him to be still awake.
"Robert" Silas mumbled quietly bringing his bunny to his face snuggling into his soft fluff.
"I think I might need a cuddle too" Carlisle said shifting Silas slightly.

"I will cuddle you" Silas said cuddling into Carlisle, turning his position on the orders lap. All the while silas' eyes drooping more and more. Carlisle started stoking his hand up and down Silas' back trying to get Silas to sleep, which was very effective as it wasn't long before the room was being filled with Silas' soft breaths. Carefully Carlisle removed the stethoscope from Silas' ears and pushed Silas' head to rest on his shoulder.

After a few minutes Carlisle stood up bringing Silas with him in his arms and started to walk out of his office. By now it had gotten dark and become a time where Silas should be in bed asleep, so it was no wonder that he'd managed to get himself to sleep.

"He's so cute" Alice whispered out as Carlisle passed her.
Alice was sat on one end of the sofa, Rosalie at the other side of the opposite one. A snakes and ladders box on the floor that had been cleaned up. Esme was in the kitchen, the sink was full with bubbly water with a brown bear sat in it.

"He needs new clothes" Rosalie commented seeing the boy in the same clothes as they found him in the day before. She knew that Esme had washed the clothing last night as he slept but he could just have one set of clothes.

"That's our plan tomorrow, we're going to go shopping"Alice said happily to herself thinking of all of the clothes she would get with the small boy.
"You and Silas?" Rosalie asked, this being the first that she's heard of this 'plan', and she seemingly wasn't the only one.

"That's tomorrow's plan yes" Alice responded simply, going back to coo over the cute sleeping child.
"I don't think that it would be a good idea to have him out in public yet" Esme said walking up from the kitchen, a soggy Bernie in her hands.

"It will be fine, I've seen it all through he'll just need a hat on, a hat that I bought today with the rest of his stuff" Alice spoke out a smile on her face.
"Alice"Carlisle said firmly, not too keen with her deciding this on her own.

"It's going to be fine" she repeated. Alice always got her way when it was something she was insistent on doing, and taking Silas out was something she was going to do.

"We will discuss this after I put him to bed" Carlisle spoke, then going to continue his way down to his and Esmes room to allow the boy to sleep peacefully.

27th November 2023
1587 words

Please vote and I hope you have enjoyed x