BACKSTORY: Chapter 2: Individual Assessment

Word Count: 552

Me and Michael entered the training arena with all the other tributes and an older woman began speaking. We had 2 weeks until the game, it seemed like a little while but it would go by so fast. She explained the rules of the training: We are not to fight with the other tributes and there are four compulsory exercises and the rest will be individual training.

We began working with different weapons, but I was most interested on the survival skills. I don't want to hurt anyone, I only need to know a few things for self defence. I just need to know how to survive, but I can't be sure what I need since I don't know what kind of arena it will be.

I turned out to be very flexible and light on my feet compared to the other tributes. It might of been since I was younger and smaller. I taught myself how to do climb, to jump from high places and stick the landing. I practiced dodging and jumping over and under things. I was also pretty good a throwing knifes and by the end of the training I could throw I knife into the middle of the target every time.

The time came for out individual assessment. My name was called 3rd to last and I slowly walked out to see a large group of people eating in a room that was cut out from the wall of the training area. They weren't paying much attention.

"Y/n Y/L!" I yelled. "From district 11!"I grabbed a couple knives and walked over to the targets. I threw one and it completely missed. They laughed and went back to their previous conversations. I grabbed another knife and threw it perfectly in the middle of the head, right between the eyes. Though unfortunately, they were too caught up in their conversations to notice.

I looked at the wall in which the room was built in and realised it was entirely climbable, for me at least. I quickly made my way to the wall and climbed up the side. I snuck behind everyone, going completely unnoticed until I sat down right next to Scena Crane.

"How did you get up here?!" He asked in a loud tone as he realised I was there, causing everyone's attention to snap to me. I slowly stood up, keeping a straight face.

I didn't say anything but ran for the opening of the room. As I jumped out I showed off my skills and did a couple flips. Once I hit the ground, I did a couple back-hand-springs and then landed perfectly facing them. I never said a word, but my face was enough of a statement. I was lectured when I arrived back to the place we were staying. As we sat down on the couch, we were waiting to see everyone's scores to be shown by Caesar Flickerman on the television.

"From district 11: Michael Daphanie, with a score of 9." Caesar Flickerman said over the television. A small pause occurred then he continued. "From district 11: Y/n L/n, with a score of...10."

"That's good right?" I asked, as I wasn't entirely sure, because of the stunt I pulled.

"Very good." Chaff responded while putting an arm on my shoulder.