Chapter 18: Peeta

Word Count: 896

Katniss and I were eating when we were approached by Boggs. Y/n, Katniss, you're wanted in Command." He told us. As we walked into the room, we heard Peeta's voice.

And of a savage attack on the hydroelectric dam in District . He said. He looked much worse than before. Though he was dressed nicely and his hair was done. His eyes were red and dark, his skin was pale, he even spoke differently. I'm begging for restraint and decency.

On the screen, Beetee managed to change the footage from Peeta to the video we had made with my singing. Thought it kept flashing back.

Katniss? Y/n? He says as he sees the propo then looks back to the camera. Y/n, are you there? Y/n? I moved closer to the screen, only for Caesar to make him continue. The attack on the dam was a callous, and inhuman act of destruction- Our video flicked on and off the screen again. Peeta began to look more distressed. Think about it. How will this end? What will be left? No one can survive this. No one is safe now. Not here in the Capitol. Not in any of the districts. He stared blankly for a moment. They're coming Y/n. They're gonna kill everyone, and in district 13 you'll be dead by morning! I saw him getting pulled from the chair at the end of his warning.

"We have to get him out..." I spoke quietly. It was the first thing I had said in a while, besides the song. "We need to do something." No one listened and no one heard me talking anyway, so did I really say anything at all?

We all began to evacuate down to level 40. Before I made it down there, I went back for the dress and the boots. Even if I didn't make it down there. As I was hurrying, I ran into Prim. She had the cat in her hands. I grabbed her hand and began to run down the stairs with her. Eventually we saw Katniss coming to get us. The three of us made it back in safely to the bunker. I sat with Katniss, her mother and Prim. We eventually got bored and started to play with cat since it was the only thing keeping us occupied. Katniss left to go see Finnick but I stayed with the cat.

Eventually, Boggs came and got Katniss and I. Effie tried to tell Katniss her lines, but she ignored her. As we walked out into the rubble, we saw white roses all over the ground. I had to admit, they were pretty, but they had such a terrible meaning attached to them now. Katniss began to mutter things, one of them being that they were gonna kill Peeta and that they weren't going to stop as long as she was the Mockingjay.

President Coin told me they were finally going to save Peeta. I wanted to go with them, but by the time she had told me, they had already left. Instead I watched the fake propo they made with Finnick as a distraction. Katniss was then speaking to President Snow, who revealed he was aware of Gale and the rest of the volunteers in the Tribute Center. I froze, I didn't know what to do. Katniss was balling her eyes out.

-

Finnick, Katniss and I were just waiting for the news. Finnick wanted Annie, Katniss wanted Gale, and I wanted Peeta. Though I never spoke to Johanna during the games, I had known her before, so I hoped she was okay. Once we got the new they were back, Finnick and Annie reunited. I saw Johanna with a shaved head and dark eyes. I ran over to her and quickly hugged her before I went off to find Peeta. Katniss found Gale and kissed him. I eagerly waited for him to tell me where Peeta was.

"He's in there." He gestured to a room down the hall. "The gas we used on the guard knocked him out, but it's wearing off now."

I ran over to the door and hesitated to open it. I waited for Katniss. "You go in first." She said as she stepped back. I nodded and walked in. I saw Peeta, he was thin, pale and his face was red and bruised. I teared up, though I noticed something else was wrong too. There was nothing behind his eyes, he looked at me as if he was unhappy to see me. Suddenly he lunged at me, slamming me into a glass cabinet. He picked up a piece of broken glass and sliced from halfway up the side of my face, over my neck and to my collarbone before someone knocked him out and get him off me.

-

I woke up in a hospital bed. I had a severe neck wound and lost a lot of blood. I later fund out from Plutarch he was, hijacked. Beetee told me it was fear conditioning, enhanced with tracker jacker venom. The venom puts the subject in a dissociative state, then they torture him. They strip down his identity, then all the fear is redirected to another person. So, now Peeta thinks I'm some evil radical and now he wants to kill me. I just wonder what they told him about Katniss.