Chapter 10: The Last Night

Word Count: 1429

I was 3rd to last for individual assessment. As my name got called, Peeta wished me good luck. I walked into the training room and noticed that, unlike last time, everyone was actually paying attention.

"Y/n L/n!" Plutarch yelled from the room cut out from the wall. "You have 10 minutes to present your chosen skill!" I abided and walked over to begin doing my combat, when I realised, why give these people what they want. So, I showed them something different. I got a knife and a small bowl from a nearby table. I sliced my hand open and squeezed as much blood as I could into the bowl. Using the blood, I wrote in bold letters on the floor: If you can't catch me, you can't kill me. I still had some left in the bowl, so I started to paint my hand in it and stamped it all around the floor of the room. Once I was finished I didn't bother to look back at them, I just dropped the bowl on the ground and walked out.

As I walked through the door again, Peeta saw my hand and had a worried expression on his face. He would've stopped to check on me, but his name was called and didn't have time, so Katniss did instead.

"What did you do?" She asked in a seemingly worried tone.

"I made a statement." I told her as I kept walking.

-

As the interview started, many victors tried saying things to stop the games and personally I resonated the most with was Johanna. She was angry and she wanted them to know. I heard my name get called again. I walked onto the stage in a dress made of Bluebells, yet towards the bottom, they turned to thorns.

"Ah, Y/n." Caesar said. "Still wearing your still beautiful flowers. It has been a long time, and my, how you have grown into a beautiful young woman."

"Thank you, Caesar." I told him with a small smile.

"Now, I can imagine how your feeling right now, but I'm sure you'll make the games mean something, as you once had before." Caesar told me.

"Yes well, lets hope so." I answered awkwardly.

"Oh come on!" He said. "Where's the confidence, where's the smile!?" Caesar chuckled.

"It here somewhere..." I trailed off slightly.

"What is your motto this time?" He asked me, changing the subject.

"If they can't catch me, they can't kill me." I said to him, with a small smile as I thought of Rue.

"Ah, yes, still the very same." He nodded and put a hand on my shoulder and whispered in my ear, away from the microphone. "And lets hope they don't." He then returned to the audience. "Let's give it up for Y/n!" There was cheering and clapping as I walked up and stood next to Chaff.

Katniss came on after me. She showed off her beautiful long green dress, which then burnt into the dress of which resembled a mocking-jay. I can imagine President Snow wasn't very happy. After her was Peeta.

"Now Peeta, how is your love life going?" Caesar asked him. "Any girls come into your life?"

"Uh- Yes actually." He responded and Caesar gasped.

"Will she be watching from home?" He asked once more.

"Not when she'll be on the screen too." Peeta answered and the crowd gasped.

"Oh my..." Caesar said. "Wait, can I guess?"

"Sure, go ahead." Peeta answer with a smile.

"My first instinct is Katniss, but, something tells me it isn't so." Caesar said as he looked at all the tributes and back to Peeta.