Chapter 8: Presidential Palace Party

Word Count: 1446

As they went around, district to district. They read off Effie's cards and even some citizens were still seen getting dragged off. At some point in the trip, you couldn't sleep and from the other room you heard a distressed scream. You ran over and saw Katniss, almost about to jump from her skin.

"Nightmare?" I asked as I walked closer. "I get them too." Peeta walked in and saw me sitting on the side of her bed. "It was just a nightmare, Peeta." He nodded and left the room. "Do you want me to stay for a while?" She nodded. We sat next to each other in silence for a couple seconds, but soon got into conversation. We talked about our families, our home, the game. We learned a lot about each other that night and I was glad. I left about half an hour later and headed back to my room.

-

"Snow is watching us." Haymitch told Katniss and Peeta as I sat next to him. "If he wants you to pacify the districts, I promise you, he's not happy."

"Instead of speaking from the heart, you guys sound like your reciting from a drilling manual." I told them. I knew they couldn't truly speak from the heart but they had to try harder to convince everyone else they were.

"Try reading the stuff that Effie writes us." Peeta sighed and looked down.

"Tell that to President Snow when you see him two days from now." Haymitch lectured them once more.

"I'm open to suggestions." Peeta sighed once more.

"We could make Y/n officially apart of this." Katniss suggested.

"Not helping." Haymitch said.

"Actually, with another voice, and someone else the people could look up too, then maybe, I could draw attention away from Katniss." I explained.

"Exactly." Katniss added. "I mean, we are on this train forever, right?."

So, we made it official. I was now officially apart of their mentoring team. The excuse was that: There's two victors and one mentor, why not even it out. That's what we told the press anyway.

-

"Just when you though things couldn't get more exciting going into a very special Quarter Quell." Caesar Flickerman said over the screen. "Our two, favourite victors, from District 12, have announced they've taken in another mentor. Someone to add to the team. I knew beginning for this very special team. And now, tonight, the tour that began in the hollows of District 12 will end where?"

-

"The Presidential Palace." Effie gasped as Peeta, Katniss, her and I walked through the gates to the palace. "The party of the year. Eyes bright. Chins up. Smiles on...I'm talking to you, Katniss. Now, there'll be photographers, interviews, everyone will be here to celebrate you two. My Victors...and Y/n of course." She stopped at the top of the stairs and gasped. "Breathe it all in, children. This is all for you."

"Its cosy." Peeta said sarcastically.

"Attitude." Effie said, accentuating the 'D' at the end. She sighed once he turned back around. "Come, come." Everyone cheered as the three of us walked through the crowd. We eventually made it inside and Effie went on a rant about mahogany and curtains but eventually left. As soon as we walked into the area of plated food, that's all anyone talked about.

"Try one of these." A lady held out a plate of Macarons. "They are divine."

"Yes please." I said as I grabbed a couple. I had eaten them at the party I was given when I won, haven't had one since.

"No, I can't eat another thing." Peeta sighed and a man grabbed a drink.

"Here." He held out a purple fizzing drink in a glass.