Getting to know each other

(MJ POV)

"Wait, you saw that?!" she gasped. 

Her audition took place over a month ago, and it wasn't meant for her to even have one in the first place, as she was already an idol who debuted under one of the Big 4. However, the CEO of KQ insisted that she did and her understanding was that she did it simply for procedural reasons.

Hongjoong saw her surprised expression "Yeah, the CEO sent me the video".  Wooyoung looked at his captain, puzzled "I didn't see any video! I didn't know there was one!". Everyone agreed with Wooyoung and looked at their captain expectantly. Hongjoong smirked and added "The CEO just sent me this video yesterday with the description "look at this". I think he had already decided to sign with you from the first 5 seconds of your dancing, to be honest" he said, complimenting MJ.

The girl felt so happy at that comment, feeling proud that her hard work was being recognized. But again, a familiar feeling of self-loathing took over in a flash and that joy vanished within seconds. "Oh really? I'm so glad to hear that...you know, I think my dancing was mediocre...my condition is not what it used to be, but with practice, I'll come back to my former self", she responded.

The captain looked stunned "If that was you in a "mediocre" condition, I can't even imagine your "good" one" he said with a teasing tone. "Show us the video then!" Yunho suggested, scooting closer to Hongjoong. "Yeah, show us!" Wooyoung said excitement rising in his voice. "I want to see it too!" Seonghwa stated eagerly and pushed his way towards the captain to have a better view. Hongjoong put his phone on the ground and everyone gathered around it on the floor and looked at the screen. 

"Before you press play, do you all know the movie "Step Up"?" MJ said looking towards the members. Everyone nodded yes and she further explained "Ok then, so...what I did for the audition was a solo of the final dance of the first movie. However, a partner is needed to do it properly, so it kinda felt a bit awkward when I did the choreography alone. I had to fill in and improvise some parts, like, for example when the boy lifts the girl , and those bits were the most difficult to come up with. Ok, now press play." 

The video started playing and the intro of the song began. In it, MJ appeared wearing black dancing tights and shoes and a black loose top. Seonghwa pointed at the screen "Are those pointe shoes?" he said referring to the ones she wore on the video. "No no, those are modern dance shoes, they are like shocks with a rubber bottom", she replied and Seonghwa shook his head in understanding.

The video continued, showing MJ twirling and lifting her arms and legs graciously during the modern dance segment of the choreo. The boys mostly stayed silent but could not hide their enthusiasm, murmuring words like "cool" and "crazy". Suddenly, the beat changed and the screen showed the girl switching up her style and dancing to hip hop, with floor moves that were drastically different than before. The members audibly gasped. "You know breakdance too?!" Mingi exclaimed. A small giggle left her lips, loving the surprise in their faces "Well I do know some basic moves and tricks, but I couldn't possibly do them in my current condition, that's just the easy version".

The video ended and the boys looked at each other, their expressions stunned. "This is crazy...was that a human?" Jongho asked himself in a daze. "You're crazy..." Wooyoung stated matter-of-factly. "I told ya" Hongjoong smirked. "I'm still shocked, I think I have goosebumps", Yunho said rubbing his arms. "Guys no, I still have a long way to go", she responded shyly at all the praise. "She's insane..." San said seemingly looking into the void. "I felt pain just watching this..." Seonghwa said with a small laugh. "So awesome!" Yeosang exclaimed. MJ giggled at the silly comments but felt grateful that they loved her dancing. "Thank you guys, it means a lot coming from you. But I have a lot to learn and it would make me very happy if you could guide me and teach me, your performances are truly out of this world!" she exclaimed with genuine enthusiasm in her voice.