snowman

a cold wind nipped at my numb cheeks as i stood shivering in my snow boots, frozen to the bone from the mid december weather.

as i picked at my now cold and wet gloves, i tried remembering how long i had been standing outside in the triplets yard waiting for my best friend to walk out the front door.

matt had urged me to bundle up and head outside before him. "it won't take too long, i promise!" he convincingly said. i knew better than to believe that crap when he was sitting in front of his computer playing fortnight with his brothers. "three more kills!"

"fine!" i let out an exasperated sigh and slumped out of his cozy room to bundle up in my snow gear.

all i wanted to do was build a snowman. maybe sneakily hurl a few snowballs at his face.

but it had to be half an hour later and no sight of matt.

just as i was about to trudge back inside, matt's bundled up body came hobbling out of the door. a black snow coat and trousers hugged the boy's frame perfectly and his hood covered most of his navy blue hat that sat snuggly atop his head. he clapped his mittened hands a couple times as he wobbled over.

neither of us said a word as we stood across from each other, just intensely staring at the other. i folded my bundled up arms and quirked an eyebrow.

"ok ok, i know, i'm sorry," matt grumbled, throwing his hands in the air. "i just got a little distracted," his quiet voice wandered off into the whistling wind.

"no shit," i muttered. "well let's not waste any more time out here. i'm already frozen to the bone and was about to go inside having given up on you actually ever joining me."

"sorry."

"whatever, c'mon let's build a snowman."

matt leaned over, and immediately began clumping balls of glittering snow together. once he had a decent enough sized snowball he began to roll it across the ground. abruptly he halted and turned to look up at me. "are you just gonna stand there?" laughing, i leaned down and started forming my own snowball.

quickly a little snowman came to life. the bottom ball which i made was now being stacked upon by two more balls matt made.

"here, use these for the arms." matt grabbed the two sticks i found and shoved them into each side of the glowing white man.

"look how cute he is already, we need to find some eyes for him," i giggled.

blue orbs looked up into mine, holding my gaze. matt's eyes held a different kind of sparkle than i was used to. chuckling, matt hoisted himself up onto his feet.

before i could process anything, a white ball whirred towards me.

"hey ouch!" i yelled as a snowball hit me hard in the arm. i quickly packed a big glittering ball and threw it back at the boy. snow flew in all directions as it hit matt square in the face.

i giggled nervously taking back a step as matt stood stock still, firmly rubbing a gloved hand smoothly down his face. other than the bright glint in his blue eyes he remained expressionless. the sudden small tug on the corner of his mouth made my heartbeat quicken.

"you're going to regret that," he said huskily.

that was all the warning needed. i turned on my heals and began attempting to sprint through the few feet of snow blanketed across the ground. i probably looked more like a drunken sailor than a nineteen year old girl.

"matt stop!" i frantically squealed.

the sound of heavy boots crunching in the snow quickly grew closer. his quickened breathing echoed too near from behind.