Chapter 10

The announcement of Ethan's name echoed through the auditorium, momentarily silencing the conversations.

He felt a mix of surprise, disbelief, and overwhelming joy flooded his senses. It was as if time slowed down, and all eyes turned towards him.

" Ethan Smith," repeated from the stage , as the auditorium filled with applause. Sam and Emma, cheered louder than anyone else, their faces beaming with genuine happiness for him.

He approached the stage with a small grin visible on his face , Ethan was still in shock.

A sense of accomplishment washed over him as Athena, the guest of the day, handed him the scholarship certificate.

Pride rushed through his body . The struggles, challenges, restless nights and losts of pain had led him to this moment.

"Ethan Smith, congratulations on your scholarship. I believe great things await you," Athena said, her smile so business-like.

He felt like as she was towering over him with her heels, as she presented the certificate , Even though Ethan had an average height for a man , he felt smaller in her presence.

"Thank you, Ms. Athena. I appreciate it," Ethan replied with his sweet like voice which was too soft for a boy his age , with gratitude sparkling in his eyes.

Ethan got down from the stage, made his way towards his friends, they quickly enveloped him into warm hugs.

Emma's eyes sparkled with tears of joy, and Sam couldn't stop patting him on the back. It was a proud moment for them and him , a recognition of his hard work .

Yet, as the sense of accomplishment lingered, a seed of doubt sprouted in Ethan's mind. ' Did he truly deserve this recognition? ' His internal thoughts showed on his face, quickly noticed by Emma, who couldn't contain her excitement for his achievement.

"Ethan, this is incredible! I'm so proud of you!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, buddy, you totally deserve this," Sam added, a genuine smile on his face.

Ethan's heart swelled with gratitude that he got such a wonderful friends like them , who had become his pillars of support in his weak and proud moments in the merciless world of his which was filled with pain and chaos .

They brought back the smile that had begun to fade back to his face.

After the program concluded, his classmates, some students, and even faculty members congratulated Ethan on his achievement just like they did to the other students who got the scholarship.

As the crowd started to disappear , he let out a his breath which felt like he was holding it for too long .

Ethan found himself alone for a moment. He took a deep breath again , absorbing the reality of his achievement. This scholarship he got wasn't just financial aid to his future,  it was also a new chapter in his life, a step towards his dreams.

Later that day, they decided to celebrate at a local cafe. Sam and Emma made it a point to celebrate their selfless friend's achievement,

showering him with compliments until he was Red like a tomato, teasing him so much that he will not stop laughing till his stomach ache , to take away any feelings of worthlessness or disappointment from his mind.

Time skip

Ethan had so much fun with his friends , he enjoyed each and every moment of the day , he was genuinely happy , which actually made him forgot to check the time , when he realized it was already evening , he left with his friends .

When Ethan returned home, the house was empty. He sighed in relief, appreciating the silence which usually made him uncomfortable but right now it felt like a gift or something.

Quickly, he went to his room, freshened up, and lay on his bed, scrolling through his phone.

As he put his phone away after a few minutes later, he looked outside.

His bed was right under the window, offering a beautiful night view.

He gazed at the stars and the moon, smiling a little.

"Oh, Mom, I wish you were here with me to share this moment. I wish you were here to give me a warm hug," he murmured.

After he wrapped his arm around himself , he continued, "I wish I could lay on your lap as you pat my head mom , I wish I could eat those cookies you always make whenever I achieve something " A tear rolled down his cheek.

"I miss you so much, Mom. I miss the way you smile *sniff* I miss you so much that it hurt "

Mumbling to himself about the empty life of his without his mother, he fell asleep in that longing state.

At that very moment, a soft beautiful heavenly voice which souded like a woman found its way into his room as the wind blew through his window , singing:

" my baby , my dear ,
I am sorry my flower, Have no fear .
Sorry that you were born here ,
A world so unclear .

My baby , my precious ,
I am sorry my own , it's serious ,
Sorry that your mother is me ,
In this world of yours , 
That's far away from worry-free .

My baby, my dear ,
I am sorry my darling ,Wipe that tear ,
Sorry that you must grow up here ,
Without your mother. "

As the voice continued to sing her plea, Ethan fell into his deep slumber without a worry which was something that he didn't feel all the time in the hell hole they call home.

To be continued...

___________________________________________

Thank you for reading this chapter

I need a suggestion from you all , lately I have been thinking what if the female lead has a child ?
would it better if there child ? or
would it make the story less interesting with child's interference?

If having a child is not a bad idea than should that child be a girl or boy ?

Comment your suggestions

Bye for now

See you on the next chapter

Be safe, happy and healthy