CHAPTER 10: Loop Six

SIX

No one can control the Attack Titan the way Eren does.

Grisha Jaeger was looking at you with horror painting his features

Grisha Jaeger was looking at you with horror painting his features. You, a scrawny child fresh from the ruins of Shiganshina, slowly teared up as you lifted your head.

"Eren is dead," you said. A choked sob escaped your throat. "He got eaten by a Titan."

"No..."

"Mr. Jaeger, you're all I know anymore," you continued, voice cracking. "Everyone else—they're dead. Mrs. Jaeger, Mikasa, Armin, my mom and dad...I'm sorry, I couldn't do anything."

With this, you burst into tears and wept bitterly into your sleeve. The hems of your dress were torn and bramble scratches covered your legs. Being a child, you looked helpless in every way. The smell of blood was heavy in the air, putrid as burning metal. Proof that Shiganshina had been slaughtered.

Grisha swallowed.

He knelt before you to reach your height. He put his hands on your shoulder. His own body was shaking, eyes bloodshot with tears.

"You... you're all I have left, too."

His resolve strengthened and he stood, gently pulling you by the arm to walk with him. He treated you as you were—a child.

He led you away. Like a promise of new life, new guardianship, the found family one might expect in an orphan and a father with no wife and son. Grisha's face was hidden from you in the darkness.

As you passed through a forest, nearing midnight, his grip suddenly tightened around your wrist. You felt a brief shirk of fear but gathered your courage.

He stopped you in the middle of a clearing. There was little to no sound save for the chirping of birds and unharmed cicadas. The air was fraught with threat.

"[Name]... you're just a child. So, I'm sorry."

"Mr. Jaeger?" you asked timidly. Perhaps you were mistaken in your decision to come here. Perhaps it would all be different. "Is this about my parents?"

"I'm sorry," he repeated. By now his eyes were blank, face slack with shock and self-loathing. He began to wail. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry—this is for him, this is to save all of them—"

"Mr. Jaeger," you tried, but suddenly Grisha forcefully yanked you by the arm, dragging you away despite your screams. "Let go! Let go!"

"I'm sorry!" he shouted, sounding crazed. He suddenly pushed you onto the forest floor, forcing you to roll up your sleeve and reveal your arm. "It's what they all want!"

Now, you felt true fear. "Who?"

But Grisha wasn't listening. He was fishing a box out of his coat pocket and hurriedly pulled out a syringe. "Be strong. Use this power. It's the only way."