ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵃˢʰⁱᵉʳ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵘˢᵗᵒᵐᵉʳ

𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲: 𝐓𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐛𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐯𝐥𝐨𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐩𝐢𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐚𝐭 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐟𝐞.

"Enjoy the rest of your day!" Shelby waved at a customer as they left the cafe. She worked as a cashier at the coziest cafe ever.

The vibes and smell of the cafe are her favorite things about the place. There is never a boring moment in the cafe when it came to her working. Even if there are no customers, the music in the background is always upbeat and fun to dance to.

Then the smell. Ooh! It was sweet, but bitter. Strong, but in a good way. Like most cafe's, it mostly smelled like coffee, but there was a hint of the delicious pastries that Shelby always snacked on during her breaks.

But she also loves the people in the cafe. Both the customers and her employees. Working at the cafe was how she made most of her friends. She's really close with her co-workers Meghan and Niki. And even her boss, Scott.

Ding! The bell rang. Which meant a new customer!

Shelby watched as a tall blonde boy who looked around 18 walked in, followed by an even taller, older boy with fluffy brunette hair and circular glasses.

The brunette wore a black short-sleave shirt with a white collar paired with dark blue jeans. Now. Shelby didn't want to say anything but...he was really good looking.

"Stop it Shelby. He's a customer. He's going to order, eat, and leave. And- and you'll never see him again." She thought to herself. The reminder that she wouldn't see him after today made her kind of sad. But she had to get over it.

The blonde boy that was with him sat at one of the tables as the brunette walked straight to Shelby. She straightened herself and put on a big smile.

"Hi! Welcome to Pine Grounds, what would you like to order?" She said with the happiest voice she could.

"Hey, sorry to ask this. I know you are a cafe, but my friend really wanted a coke. Do you guys possibly have that?" The brunette asks kindly.

Shelby smiled at him again. "We don't usually give out pop to customers, but I can sneak into the employee lounge and steal one from the fridge."

"Thank you, and I'll pay extra for it because now I feel bad for taking a pop from you guys."

"No no, it's alright. Would you like to order something else?" She says.

"Yeah. Actually, do you have any recommendations?" He asks.

"Uhm, I do happen to have one. It's not on the menu, but its something I ask my co-workers to make for me. It's a pumpkin pie latte and it's really good. It's basically just milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice syrup." Shelby suggests.

"I'll have that. It does sound good. What's the total?"

"Uhh I'll make the coke €1.25 and the latte €4.65, so €5.90!" She answers.

"Great." The brunette takes his wallet out of his back pocket. He takes out some cash and hands it to Shelby.

"You gave me an extra €10." Shelby informed the brunette. She tried to hand the extra back to him, but he shook his head.

"It's not extra. It's your tip!" 

"My tip? But all I did was stand here and talk." Shelby laughs.

"And you did a good job doing so." He chuckled along with her and Shelby swore it was the sweetest thing to her ears.

Yes, that sounds really cringey, but it's the truth. The brunette's chuckle was deep and soft and could easily just make you smile from it gracing your ears.

"Thank you. That's very kind of you. I'll get your order right now. You can sit with your friend now." Before he could respond to her, Shelby turned around and walked to the kitchen because she could already feel her cheeks warming up.

Wilbur turned around and walked back to the table Tommy had sat at. "You took a long time ordering, huh? Had fun talking to that girl?" Tommy teased.

"Shut up." Wilbur said as he sat down in the chair opposite to his blonde friend. I definitely did have fun though.

As soon as Wilbur walked into the cafe, his eyes spotted the orange-haired cashier. His first thought: she's drop dead gorgeous.

Then he walked up to her, and she gave him a big smile. And he has to admit, that was the prettiest smile he had even seen someone give him.

And then she started speaking and he fell even more in love.

Yes. Love. Okay, maybe not love. But it felt like that to the naive brunette. He made small talk with her and she ended up being so kind and sweet to him.

How could anyone not like her?!

Wait. How could anyone not like her...shit. She probably has a boyfriend. Why wouldn't she have a boyfriend? Any boy would be dumb not to ask her out if they'd known her for a long time.

"Did you ask her for her number?" Tommy asked excitedly. 

Wilbur had a couple of exes that Tommy knew of, and they weren't very compatible with him. You could tell just by looking at them together.

But when Tommy watched Wilbur talk to the cashier, he could tell that they would fit well together. And he could tell Wilbur was infatuated with the girl by his stance and the fact he kept looking down at his hands.

"Have you met me? Do you really think I could do that?"

"Okay fine, but before we leave, you better!" He scolded.

"Tommy, no. What if she has a boyfriend? It'll be so embarrassing if I ask and she did." Wilbur said back. 

"But what if she doesn't? Then you'll miss your chance with a great girl that could possible be the love of your life! Do you want to be lonely for the rest of your life? It isn't very hard to go up to someone and ask for their number. I did it! Now I have a girlfriend!" Wilbur's eyes widened at Tommy's words. He surely was like his brother.

"I know, I know. No, I don't want to be lonely for the rest of my life. It's just nerve-racking. And at my age, most of the girls I like are taken."

"But don't let it stop you. If she does happen to have a boyfriend, then we leave and you never see her again, but if she doesnt, then you'll see her again and possibly go on a date with her." He said.

"Alright I have your guys' drinks." The orange-haired girl announced as she walked up to their table. "Here's your coke." She placed the can in front of Tommy. "And the pumpkin pie latte!" She placed the cup in front of Wilbur. And then she immediately walked away, which was a little strange to Wilbur.

I glanced down at the drink in front of me, and it did look delicious. Then I noticed something else. There was a serviette that came with it that seemed to have writing on it.

I picked up the serviette and read the words that were written on it:

i may or may not have overhead you and your friend's conversation. here is my number to save you my troubles ###-###-#### :)

Wilbur turned his head to the direction of the counter and saw the orange-haired girl smiling at him. He smiled back and mouthed a "thank you" before Tommy interrupted them...by pretending to gag.

"What?" Wilbur asked.

"I know I encouraged this, but that does not mean I want to watch the process right in front of me." 

"Shut up. Atleast I got her number now." He said.

"And now you know she doesn't have a boyfriend. It wasn't too hard, now was it?" Tommy teased.

𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐇 𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐀 𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐀 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝟐 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝟐'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐖