ⁿᵒᵗ ᵍᵒᵒᵈ ᶠᵉᵉˡⁱⁿᵍˢ

My eyes fluttered open and light started blinding me immediately, forcing me to actually wake up. I shuffle in my bed and flip my body around, and I try to hug the person who is supposed to be right next to me, just to find nothing there. 

I sigh and sit up on my bed. 

The person supposed to be right beside me is my boyfriend, Wilbur Soot. I'm not surprised to find him not in bed this early in the morning because lately, he has been over working himself a lot. It's because he is stressed about becoming King.

Yes, my boyfriend is the prince. His father, the current King, told him how he was getting a little old and that Wilbur should start helping him with his duties as King for preparation of the future. 

And Wilbur has taken that responsibility very seriously. As much as I am proud of him for being so hardworking and helpful for his father, I am a little concerned for him. 

He already slept very late last night. I know because he had tried to sneak into our room at around 4 in the morning, which obviously woke me up. And now it is only 8 A.M and he is already out of bed.

About 4 hours of sleep. And this happens almost everyday. And not to be that kind of girlfriend, I barely get to see him because he is already working.

I start getting ready for the day and put on a cute outfit of a dark green mock-sweater, a plaid dark gray skirt, and black knee high boots. I finish the look with a black bow in my hair.

I leave the room and head straight for the castle kitchen, hoping Niki, a.k.a the best cook (and friend) in the world, is awake.

"Niki?" I call out as I enter the kitchen.

"Sorry! One second." A faint soft voice says. She then walks into the kitchen and comes in for a hug. "Good morning Shelby." She greets.

"Hi Niki." I say, with a upset tone, which I didn't mean to do. But Niki being Niki immediately knew that something was wrong, and asks.

"Is everything alright?" 

"I just-" I lean against the kitchen island. "Wilbur has been working super hard lately, and I know it's because he wants to be a good King for the people, and I am so proud of him for that. But I barely get to see him and I am concerned for his wellbeing."

"Well, it sounds like you need to talk to Wil about how you feel. I've known Wil since we were kids, and I know that once he has a goal set, nothing will stop him. But I know he will stop for you. If you let him know what you think, he'll realize that he should take time for himself and you." Niki advises. 

"Thank you so much Niki. I don't know what I'd do without you."

ꨄ︎

I take a deep breath as I look at the large brown wooden doors in front of me. I'm standing in front of Phil's, the King's, office. I had asked the guards around if they'd seen Wilbur anywhere, and they all said in here.

I slowly turn the door knob and open the door, revealing Wilbur in his blue suit sitting at the desk chair, writing on some paper. He doesn't even look up to me as he says, "Who is it?"

"It's me." I say with a meek voice. He finally looks up to me and smiles a bit.

"Hey Shelby." He simply says and goes back to writing. 

My smile falters a little. "Can we talk?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure." He puts his pen down and looks back up to me. "Everything alright?"

"Uhm. No, not really." I tell him. I see his eyebrows raise in confusion. "I just feel like you- you've been working so much. And I'm just getting worri-"

"I have a lot to do, Shelby. Surely you get that." He interrupts.

"Yeah, I know. But I've noticed you haven't been sleeping very much and with how much work you do everyday, I just don't think it's very healthy."

"Thank you for your concerns Shelby, but I'm perfectly fine. Why don't you go back to our room? I can't have any distractions right now." He states with no emotion and, once again, goes back to writing.

Tears start forming in my eyes, and I get angry with myself. Why do I have to be so pathetic and emotional? I nod my head slightly and turn around to exit the room.

As soon as the door closes, the tears start falling out of my eyes as I walk back to our bedroom as Wilbur said. 

Though, on the way I pass Tommy, Wilbur's brother.

"Woah, Shelby. Is everything okay?" He asks promptly. I have the feeling in my throat where I know I won't be able to talk, so I just don't answer and keep walking.

Once I get to the room, I shut the door and get back into bed. I start sobbing into my pillow. Seriously, why do I have to be so pathetic? 

Why am I crying? Why doesn't Wilbur want to spend time with me anymore? Why can't everything be like how it was before? 

ꨄ︎

I must've fallen asleep because my eyes start to slowly open when I feel movement of the covers. I open my eyes to see Wilbur, no longer in his blue suit, and sitting under the sheets with me.

"Oh darling. What happened? Tommy told me he saw you crying in the halls." All the memories from before I had fallen asleep suddenly come back to me and I start choking with tears. "Don't cry. It's okay." He wraps his arms around my small frame and hugs me.

I try to work up the courage to say the five words I've been meaning to ask this whole day of not good feelings. "Do you still love me?"

Wilbur's eyes widen and he looks lost for words. "Why- why would you ask that darling? Of course I still love you. I never stopped. What's made you think that?"

"For these past month's, you're always working and never have time to spend with me. And I know you just wanna be a good King and are preparing, but we haven't had Wilbur and Shelby time in so long. I just miss you and I feel like- like you're tired of me and I know it's stupid that I'm crying over this but I just can't help it." I tell him.

"Shelby..." His grip around me tightens and he leans in closer to me. "It's not stupid. I'm not at all tired of you, and I could never be. But you're right, I haven't been spending much time with you lately. I'm so sorry."

I sniffle my nose as he continues. "I mean, what am I doing? I have a beautiful and goregous, and overall just perfect girlfriend right in front of me and I don't even spend more than an hour with her everyday. I'm so fucking sorry Shelby. I don't know what I was thinking, and I know it's a lame excuse."

"But seriously, I want you to know I love you so much. And I'll stop working so much. But if you ever feel this way again, please tell me." I stuff my head into his chest and nod my head. "I love you."

"I love you too." I mumble into his chest. I feel him rest his head on my own and his soft lips kiss on my hair.

"One day I'll make you my queen." He chuckles. "It'll be you and me forever."