Chapter 9

"I think I made myself clear that I didn't want to hear anymore lies and just so you know this excuse was pretty lame." Harsh said not believing a word they saying. "This isn't a joke boy. Due to a tricky situation the year Shreya gave her boards, we had to move. After completing her twelfth boards, She went through the surgery even after our disapproval and started a new life here. If you don't believe me, tell me, has Shreyansh ever mentioned anything about his past? It's up to you what you wanna believe. I've told what I had to. As to why he did what he did, you may find that yourself once he wakes up. I shall take my leave now." said Shreyansh's mom and then both the parents left. Harsh felt a surge of disbelief, followed by rage and utter resentment. He felt numb and hollow as tears stinged her eyes but his anger didn't let them fall. He got home somehow, his thoughts still mired with the information he just received, still finding it hard to believe. He did not visit Shreyansh for the next few days. Vamika still had no idea and Harsh just made excuses for not going.

After days of overthinking, Harsh came around. He couldn't ditch his first love and best buddy without even listening to their explanation. Deep down he still believed, be it Shreya or Shreyansh, they won't ever hurt him if they could help it. Even after how ruthlessly Shreya had dumped him and how Shreyansh had kept him in the dark for so long, he still couldn't get himself to hate him. Harsh got back to visiting Shreyansh every single day like nothing had happened. Shreyansh's parents were also happy to see that Harsh came around eventually.
Four months had passed since the accident and there was close to no improvement. Harsh and Vamika tried all sorts of things to trigger Shreyansh's condition. Like once, they bought Chole bhature, Shreyansh's favourite, on their way to the hospital and devoured it in the hospital ward, telling Shreyansh how good it was. No impact. Another time they told him that Mrs. Shalini was having an affair with Mr Rao. Shreyansh had always been interested in university drama and tea like these but again no impact. They also said Cookie, his dog, had given birth to four cute puppies but his parents were putting them up for adoption. Without him, they were unable to take care of all of them. That also didn't work. Harsh was losing hope when he had an idea and he looked at Vamika who also thought the same thing. They both could make out just from the eye contact that they were thinking the same thing. "We are dating" they both chorused. They stared at him for some seconds waiting for a response but he didn't budge. Just as Harsh turned to leave, Vamika shouted, "Harsh!" Harsh turned to see Shreyansh opening his eyes and saying, "Ahh my head hurts." At this point both Harsh and Vamika were jumping with excitement. Shreyansh interrupted their happy dance saying, "You mind calling the doctor now or I'll have to do that myself?" Vamika ran out to call the doctor and Harsh hugged Shreyansh tightly and even shed a tear of joy. "I just woke up and you're already trying to choke me to death. Let me go" Shreyansh said and Harsh did as he said. "How long has it been? I remember hearing you talking nonsense everyday." Shreyansh said. "4 months. Let me inform your parents. They will be over the moon." 'Parents' Just as Harsh mentioned parents, he felt the surge of betrayal, hurt and anger rush back to him. Harsh left without saying another word, avoiding Shreyansh calling out to him. He avoided Shreyansh's calls, texts and didn't visit him again even until he was discharged. Shreyansh returned to uni soon and was showered with a lot of attention, sympathy and affection. However, Harsh was still giving him the cold shoulder. Even Vamika was confused but all she got were some lame excuses. Harsh knew he had to accept the truth and all but he couldn't figure out his own emotions at that moment. The person he has always loved and the buddy who had become closer than biological brothers, were suddenly the same person. Even if he chose to stay as friends, it won't ever be the same again and he couldn't date him because he was straight. This dilemma troubled Harsh so he avoided Shreyansh. This way he won't have to take a decision rashly that he might end up regretting. Shreyansh was puzzled at Harsh's strange behaviour. But it all made sense when later that day, during dinner, his parents told him about their conversation with Harsh that day in the hospital. Shreyansh was furious at his parents for not telling him something so important sooner. He threw a fit but as he calmed down, he realised it was a mess he had created himself and they didn't tell him yet because he was still recovering so he couldn't take stress. He did apologize to them later.
Shreyansh had been trying to approach Harsh directly but failed everytime. So, he planned to trick Harsh into coming to meet Vamika but Harsh left as soon as he saw Shreyansh there.

Shreyansh was losing hope of ever getting Harsh back when he got the perfect opportunity to approach Harsh. Shreyansh realized Harsh was bunking Mr. Smith's class as usual and he knew exactly where he'd be. The upstairs of the PE department was a restricted area. This was the place Harsh had discovered this place, it had dusty old sofas, some sports equipments and a nice shed. He usually came out here to bunk, make out or cuddle with someone or like now for some alone time. Shreyansh followed Harsh but before going there, he bribed a security guard to pretend to be out on a watch so Harsh couldn't leave. Harsh was sitting there spacing out until Shreyansh made his presence known by appearing in front of him. Harsh gave a cold look and shouted, "Leave me alone you asshole." Shreyansh shushed him as the security guard shouted, "who's there." They heard footsteps approaching and hid behind a wooden shelf filled with a bunch of rackets, bats and other sports equipments. The space was tight about seven inches and width barely enough for one to fit. They squeezed in there facing eachother, every inch of their body in contact. Their faces barely centimetres apart. Their gazes interlocked and that's when Harsh saw the same emerald green eyes and Harsh leaned in to kiss. Shreyansh's lips were unresponsive for a few seconds as his eyes dilated with shock, but then the tension ceased, his eyes closed themselves and his lips opened as their tongue explored eachother's mouths.
Harsh's mind was in a chaos, something in him just didn't want to pull away and he didn't know if it was the feeling or his unwillingness to have to face it right then. Their steamy kiss was interrupted by a call on Shreyansh's phone. Harsh snapped out of it and pulled away, red with embarrassment. They could barely feel their lips at this point. Shreyansh cut the call and held Harsh by his neck and leaned in but this time Harsh backed away. Harsh said, "The security guard has left it seems. I'm leaving for class." As Harsh was leaving, Shreyansh grabbed Harsh's hand and pulled him back, and said, "It wasn't a mistake. The kiss. I love you and I always have." Harsh paused a little before saying, "Yeah, that explains why you dumped me like that back then, and kept me in the dark for years." "It broke my heart too. The situation left me no choice." Shreyansh said. "What situation?" Shreyansh took a deep breath, sat on the sofa before saying, "Back in 2016, my father had been framed by his partners for a fraud. We lost everything and ended up with a huge debt. Even though my father was innocent, we couldn't afford a lawyer and so he had to serve jail time for a whole year. And with my fathers in jail, the loan sharks and debt collectors came after me and my mom and harassed us for the money. That's why we had to move to another city, change names and I got enrolled into a new school as a boy, dressed as atleast. My mom started a business that did well and we were able to prove my dad's innocence. I completed my 11th and 12th there. I ended up loving my new life as a guy, even though I still missed you terribly. Those two years as a boy, made me feel like I was born into the wrong body. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to undergo the surgery and voice care before I started university. And leaving you is the decision I regret the most, but I wasn't in a mental or emotional state to make this relationship work long distance. And yeah, I couldn't stand being away from you so I joined this uni knowing this was your dream college. I was ecstatic when I saw you here but I didn't have the guts to come clean so I just befriended you.it might be also because I knew we could never go back to what we were before so thought being atleast we could be friends." "I'm sorry for not making you feel like you couldn't trust me, and you had to go through so much alone. I love you too. Even though I was straight, I could be gay for you." Harsh said as he sat on Shreyansh's lap facing him. "I do have to admit you've improved your kissing skills significantly. But, you're not allowed to be seen getting touchy with any other girl from now on." Shreyansh said. "Why would I want anyone else when I have you?" Harsh replied. Shreyansh chuckled as he said, "Remember how shy and awkward you were when we had our first kiss at that party?" "No, I don't!" Harsh said and shut him up with a kiss.