2: Self-confrontation.

It was a new day, the first proper school day of the year. Yesterday was an overextended introduction that threatened to wear students out before the year had even kicked off.

Just as the day changed seamlessly, so did my motivations. After a rewarding interaction with Horikita Suzune last night, I decided to change the way I approached problems from then onward, it only remains to be seen how this will affect me as I navigate the path of my life in this school.

"Good morning." My dry voice rang out, startling the group of gossiping girls I was greeting, they turned towards me and I could see the gears turning in their heads as they tried to remember who I was.

"Oh! Ayanokouji-kun! Good morning." She totally forgot my name.....

The girl who had introduced herself as Kushida was the first to remember who I was, the other girls in her group showed looks of realization as they finally made the connection.

Then successive "good mornings" came from all the girls as they tried to gloss over the fact that they forgot me, making the situation unbearably awkward. I nodded slightly and walked on, pretending not to notice anything.

Yes, this is the attitude of a social elite! The internet can be really helpful at times, it has been an indispensable tool, no, friend since I left the white room.

I settled in my seat after exchanging basic pleasantries with everyone I met on the way. Normally, I wouldn't do this and my presence would completely fade from the minds of my classmates but I had my reasons.

"I'm surprised, I didn't take you for someone interested in mundane pleasantries." Horikita, who I met at her seat, spoke to me.

"You should have less confidence in your people reading skills then, expectations bring disappointment." I off-handedly replied as I took out the materials for the completely useless classes I would have to sit through.

Horikita narrowed her eyes, slightly glaring at me. "When you have the countenance of a depressed teen, I could hardly be blamed for my assumptions."

And of course she fell to insults....

I only sighed before ignoring Horikita, who didn't push further after seeing my resignation.

My classmates continued to mingle till the bell rang and classes began.

The classes went on, teachers came and left, saying their piece and leaving while totally ignoring the misbehaving students of class D.

"This is even more suspicious..." Horikita mused aloud after the last teacher for the day left the class, interrupting my process of packing up.

"The teachers' attitudes?" I asked.

She only gave a slight nod in response as she kept pondering the reasons for the abnormally lax treatment we were receiving.

"Do you have any ideas?" I asked again in a bid to move the conversation forward.

A recurring trend in our interactions so far, she initiated the interaction but never bothered to sustain it, leaving the burden to an inexperienced me.

"Not at the moment, I have no idea what I'm even supposed to be searching for. It's just like yesterday with the free products, this school has a lot of inexplicable aspects to it."

"Try a better approach then."

"What?" She was confused by what I meant.

Doing this would make her slightly wary of me but that's just another facet of human psychology, it would be a useful sentiment regardless of how she perceived me.