Chapter 4: Unveiling Shadows

Evelyn's Pov

What's the thing I hate the most, you ask? Well, I don't have a fondness for olives and sexist men, but what really gets under my skin is being unjustly scolded by my parents.

Anticipating the impending storm, I decided to head home for the weekend. The longer I delayed breaking the news to my father about me about to start working with the Ice Hockey team, the worse the fallout would likely become.

Yet, a nagging question lingered: Why does my dad harbor such a vehement disdain for ice hockey? What transpired to lead him to ban me from even going near it, especially when it came to those ice hockey guys?

Here I sit at the dinner table with my parents, Alexander and Victoria Sterling, along with my siblings, Amelia and Lucas.

Amelia, my spirited and caring 16-year-old sister, exudes a passion for fashion, music, and painting. She aspires to pursue these interests professionally, and I've made it a habit to showcase her creations at school by donning her unique outfits.

Then there's Lucas, my inquisitive and shy 11-year-old brother, possessing a big heart. Ever since mom gave birth to him, he's been the first boy I ever loved. An absolute genius who doesn't quite realize it, Lucas harbors a natural talent for ice hockey—a talent that's sure to spark a frenzy when he learns about my collaboration with the Northern Lakeside Ice Hawks.

"So, I, uh, have something to tell you guys," I announced to my family as we gathered around the dark wood dining table. The walls, draped in a dark gray hue, mirrored the fireplace where a dwindling fire cast a subtle glow. The windows revealed the last remnants of sunlight.

"Sure, sweetheart, what's going on?" My dad replied, his familiar eyes fixed upon me.

"Well, it has something to do with my part-time job in sports marketing at school and the team I'll be working with," I explained, feeling a bit unsure about how to proceed.

Amelia glanced over, brushing a strand of dark chestnut hair from her face. "What's going on, Evie?"

Lucas continued to eat, seemingly unaffected by the conversation. My mom, ever the arbiter of table manners, wiped his face with a napkin. "Mom!" he protested.

"I'm sorry, Luckey, but if you fed your mouth and not your face, I wouldn't have to," my mom retorted.

Victoria Sterling, my educated and sophisticated mother, took dining table rules seriously. With her light green eyes matching Lucas's and her light brown hair, I confided in her with every secret. Yet, when it came to my dad, he had a knack for persuading her on almost everything. It's almost as if he possesses a magic touch—something I'd rather not visualize.

"Back to you, Evie, what were you going to say?" My dad tapped his fingers against the wood—a prelude to any significant news.

"Okay, breathe, just get it over with," I whispered to myself. "Well, I'll be working with the Ice Hockey team, not the baseball team," I mumbled quickly. I attempted to stand, intending to gather the plates for the kitchen, but my dad grasped my wrist.

"What did you just say? I could barely hear it over your mumbling and the sight of you making a run for it," he remarked, releasing my wrist. "Please sit down so we can have a proper conversation, Evelyn."

I set the plates back down, returning to my seat with deliberate slowness.

"Thank you. Now, please explain what you just said," my dad requested, his gaze fixed upon me.

"It turns out I'll be working with the Ice Hockey team instead of the baseball team," I revealed.

My father's brows furrowed. "But I thought we agreed it would be best if you worked with the baseball team." He exhaled sharply, clenching his hands into fists.

"I know, Dad. I signed up for it, but there was a mistake. For this semester, I have to work with them. I tried to correct it," I explained, awaiting his reaction.

His expression shifted from confusion to anger. "This is unacceptable, Evelyn Claire Sterling. We had an understanding, and you've broken it by not putting in enough effort to rectify this. You know how much I've tried to shield you from that sport, from that life, and especially from those boys."

Unable to meet his eyes, I looked down at my hands. I had genuinely tried to fix it, but it proved to be an insurmountable challenge. "I'm sorry, Dad. I did my best to change it. But you've never explained why you've spent my entire life keeping me away from the sport and the people. What have they done to make you resent them so much?" I asked.

Unexpectedly, he stood up, pushing his chair in and leaning on it. "This conversation is over, Evelyn. I'll call Ms. Stroud tomorrow to rectify this," he declared. "But, Dad, I've already started to—" I began, but he cut me off. "

"No, Evelyn, I said no. You will not do this. I forbid it." He storms out of the room.

My mom and siblings turn their gaze toward me. "Honey, I'm so sorry," my mom apologizes.

"Why didn't you help me, Mom? Stand up to him?" I question her.

"There are just some things that you don't know about, Evelyn," she says.

I stand from my chair, kiss Amelia and Lucas on the top of their heads, and turn to my mom.

"Well, I suppose I don't know anything then, do I? Especially if he won't talk about it," I state as I walk out of the room.

______________________________
A/N Heyy, it's me again.
I hope you enjoyed this chapter and tell me what you think and would have done/ said in Evelyn's place.

Don't forget to like, comment, and follow.
See you soon!