CHAPTER 6

I walked into the kitchen. It was a bit dirty and cold. I gazed at the various knives and supplies. The man said "your position is quite simple. All you have to do is cut the meat in fours and pass it to the worker next to you! Sam! Say hi sam!" Sam was very fat and intimidating. He was missing a thumb and had an eye missing.
Sam turned his neck slowly, I could hear his neck cracking. He looked at me in silence and waved slowly. I gulped and looked at the small man who led me here. He whispered "don't be intimidated! He's a sweetheart." I still felt scared. Not a word came out from that man. He looks like he's been through prison.
     I see a woman in the back, watching and scanning the room. The woman looked around 40, Her hair was a bit messy and short, with a sliver of silver hair. She had a net covering her hair and a white apron. The woman's eyes were wide and she kept a null, relaxed face. Her gaze sent a shiver down my spine, it was like my fate was decided by her. I hear the bandaged man speak and it snaps my attention back to him.
           The scrawny man's eyes widened "oh! I almost forgot to introduce myself,  Im craig. Or at least that's what people call me." I was more focused on working than meeting the staff. Well, I know who is who now. Craig handed me a white and red checkered apron with the name Porky's sewn on it. I'm guessing that's my uniform. Craig mentioned "no need for a fancy uniform. Just make sure the apron doesnt get damaged. Well, that's all for showing you around. It's almost opening time." I tied on my apron and walked to my station in the kitchen. I waited and tried not to make eye contact with sam. I didn't want to hold the fear in my head.
            A loud bell rang in the main room. I looked back to see Craig flipping a sign over on the front door. It must be opening time. I took a deep breath and braced myself to work. The kitchen door made the room more quiet, but I could still hear the people ordering their food and the classy music. Silent, but not too silent you hear that ringing in your ears. Sam looked down and didn't move a muscle. So many thoughts were in my head until a big slab of meat was passed to me. I'm not sure what type of meat, but it looked like pork. How ideal.
          Without thinking, I grabbed the butcher's knife on the side and started cutting the meat into fours. I peeked at Sam next to me with the meat I've chopped. He made sure there were no bones and prepared it into a machine I'm guessing speeds the process. The cooked patty was returned to him and he finished it off. That's a lot for someone who doesn't move. I focused back on my work and kept cutting. I made sure my fingers weren't too far from the knife and did not misplace the knife. I had a few flashbacks of what I went through yesterday. Everything seemed to have shifted.  But this doesn't make any sense, why would something be so humble after something so suspicious?
              How could I have had to go through something like this but had a traumatizing day previously? Something is up. I just don't know what, I guess I should explore later on. I do have some time after my shift since it ends at 7:00 pm. I will stay here for a while. I hope I don't forget. My memory hasn't been that good since I cut a finger. I need to focus. But my name is still surrounding my brain. Josephine.... Josephine.. Josephine..