Miss America

"Paige, what's wrong?" Pop asks.

"I'm just wondering when the other kids will come," I explain as Pop dips me.

Part of our workout for each day was to practice ballroom dancing. Pop and I do our workouts together just in case I get a little crazy. Pop is actually really good at this dancing thing. On the other hand, I'm not so good. I trip over my feet at least twice each dance. Nevertheless, we both enjoy it.

"It's been over a month since we e-mailed them. Why haven't they come yet?" I continue.

Pop thinks really carefully before he gives an answer. We are already on the next song when he finally replies.

"Some of them live in different countries and the others are really busy living their lives. Some of these kids have responsibilities that they have to meet over the summer. But, they will come, eventually. Remember, patience is a virtue."

The song has ended and both of us have drifted off to the stacked chairs on one side of the room. I push myself up to sit on the highest stack of chairs. That's a normal teenager thing to do, right? Pop sits on the stack next to me. Even though the stack is a few chairs shorter than mine, Pop's height equals mine. Sometimes I wonder if he keeps growing. I swing my legs back and forth, fighting off boredom.

"Paige, what's the date?" Pop asks, copying my leg-swinging. My father can be such a dork.

"It's the third of July."

"Then, that means there are two very important things tomorrow. One of them is Independence Day, and I forgot what the other one was." Pop looks at me with his mischievous face.

"Well, it is my birthday tomorrow," I tease back.

"Oh, that's right. And I have actually done my research, and I believe it is your Sweet Sixteen and I have an early gift for you."

"Did you ask Mom?"

"Yes," Pop admits. "Anyway, in town, they have a Fourth of July parade, and Mom, Fury, and I have decided that you are ready to see the outside world."

I can't say anything but I guess my smile communicates my gratitude. I jump off my stack of chairs and when Pop gets off I give him a really long hug. Pop returns it and I leave a couple of tears on his shirt.

"But, just to be safe, you need to wear two layers of suit. We don't want anyone feeling your heat, okay?" Pop looks really serious. If he ever gives you that kind of look, he is really concerned for you and he just wants you to be safe.

"Okay."

"Why don't you go get ready, and I'll tell Fury not to give you any training today or tomorrow. Oh, wait. One last thing." Pop hands me a wrapped item.

I give him a confused look. I'm not really sure what to do with it.

"Go ahead, open it."

I carefully unwrap it, trying not to damage the paper too much. I like to cut a square from each of the wrapping papers I come across and tape it to my wall. Sometimes, I find wrapping paper outside my door that one of the agents left for me. I've almost filled the wall behind my bed and I must say, it looks pretty darn cool. When it's completely full, I think I will take a picture in case anyone else wants to see. I don't feel comfortable letting them into my room.

Inside the paper, I find a rolled up T-shirt. I pull out the shirt and I immediately notice that the design is the American flag on the front.

I look up at Pop and say, "Well, I know what I'm wearing tomorrow."

He chuckles a bit and we hug once more. I can actually say thank you this time and I head off to my room.

As I go, I wonder what normal kids do for their sweet sixteen. After consulting my little friend named Google, I've determined that most kids get to throw a huge party and maybe get a car. But, I think that my gift tops them all; I get my freedom.