Chapter 1

Aarini's POV

"So could you figure out who is it?" I asked cautiously as I looked at Samta who wore the same lost expression that she's been wearing since a month now.

Adarsh pinched the bridge of his nose as he answered for his step-sister, "With extensive research on my part, yes." Then he muttered the last part, almost as if to himself, "Though, I wish I hadn't."

"Why, not?"

Kabir scoffed as he palmed his face and looked at me, "Trust me, ignorance is truly a bliss sometimes. Especially when it comes to him."

Gosh, what were they onto. I was so freaking confused. "Huh?"

"We had hope that whoever this person was; we'd be able to settle the matter with him. That is until we learnt who exactly is he."

Samta let out an unamused laughter as she poured me a Mocha Latte, "Father really knows how to fuck up real bad."

I really didn't know what to say. So I went with the only way I could offer support. Hope. I didn't care if it was false, "Maybe we could talk to this person or something?"

This time both Samta and Kabir laughed humourlessly until Kabir looked at me with a mixture of pity and sorrow, "Aarini, he is known for his malevolence, which promises a symphony of chaos."

Despite his serious tone, I didn't have it in me to believe that someone could have such a hold, "Don't exaggerate."

This time it was Adarsh, who had stayed silent ever since I arrived, replied, "Actually Kabir's right, Aaru. If he's regal then he could be equally ruthless."

Samta went to add, "Draped in an aura of enigmatic charm and undeniable menace, he materialised. He's  a formidable presence whose very existence is terrifyingly haunting."

An uncomfortable feeling blanketed over me as I tried not to take their words too literally. But the seriousness with which they all spoke was too heavy a weight to ignore.

"Is he at..." I trailed off as I failed to grasp any appropriate word, "I don't know....some sort of a power holding position?"

"Yes" the three voices resounded at the same time, before Kabir spoke up again, "But that's not the issue. The point is to know how exactly he got to that power. That is what matters."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Dammit. I was so confused and none of this was making sense.

Adarsh sighed loudly as he sat down on the couch placed next to their living room's window, "See, this man has a certain reputation." Seeing confusion play out on my face he continued, "He's a royal by blood though nothing about his actions conform to traditional royalty. Far from it actually. People are divided in two categories when he is concerned. Most are way too terrified to cross him, the rest, with considerable influence of their own, do not intend to test him. Either way, he isn't one to be messed with."

Looming danger floated in the air until it became too palpable to actually suffocate each one of us. I did not know this person. And I truly prayed that I'd never have to.

Kabir tapped his fingers against his Chai cup as he spilled whatever he knew, "No royal status or parental wealth takes credit for who he is today. He rose from the ashes. Literally. Rumour has it that his father never supported him and that's the mildest thing to say about his family situation."

The more information I was getting hold of, the more perplexed I became, "If he's so...infamous; how is it that we have never heard of him through media?"

Samta's eyes flashed at my question as she looked almost smug, despite her distraught state, by the fact that I'd ask this question, "For no one would be stupid enough to write anything on him. He doesn't need an editorial to describe him. Those who need to know, get to know him. You see, Aarini, this city isn't only pink. Between these rose tinted hues are shades of black."